cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 100-400 on R7 Autofocus issues?

atticus05
Apprentice

I am planning to upgrade from my 77D to the R7 as the autofocus in particular looks fantastic for wildlife photography. I have often read that the R7 has problems with the Sigma 150-600mm autofocus (autofocus pulsing etc.). Do any of you have experience with the R7 in combination with the 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG, OS, HSM lens? And if so, is the autofocus also affected with this lens?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Welcome to the community.  Much of the circumstances surrounding the reported and/or perceived AF issues with the Sigma 150 - 600c were related to improper use.  User left IS turned on while using a tripod, User attempting to focus on a subject closer than the MFD for the lens at various focus lengths, etc.

I personally do not have any experience with the Sigma 100 400.  If you were going to use this camera/lens combination, I suggest you use a Canon brand adapter.  The 100-400 is part of Sigma's global vision category, be sure it's firmware is updated to the latest available.  You'll need their dock to do this. 

Third party lens compatibility is not guaranteed.  With this in mind, adjust your expectations accordingly and understand that the lens is not going to perform the same way a Canon lens might.  Focus tracking may not be as stellar, AF might not be as fast etc.  This does not mean you won't be able to capture great photos.  

I'm sure others will have additional comments.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Totally agree with Rick's comments.   Canon make no warranty about how 3rd party lenses will behave with their cameras so, to me, the best thing is to take the lens to a camera store, and try it on an R7 via a Canon adapter, and test it before you buy.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements