cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus Beep confirmation

Noli
Contributor

Why is is it that I do not get a confirmation focus beep nor the focus box turning green while using a back button focus? I am not on Servo and it works if I revert back to the normal shutter button focus?  It also works if I use the touch screen to focus?

12 REPLIES 12

Danny

Hi, Noli!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

I forgot to mention that I am using Eos R5.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you certain that you have setup BBF correctly?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am very certain. This is not the first camera that I’ve setup for BBF. Besides, it’s working without the beep as in Servo mode.

If you know how to set it up, then you know how to set it up.  

There must be another setting somewhere that is holding things back.  I recommend saving your current settings in a custom shooting mode.  Set the camera to P shooting mode, and reset the camera to factory defaults.  Most importantly, go into the Custom Controls menu and reset that sub-menu, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Noli:

I am BBF on my own R5 and I was able to have it beep on focus camera settings (wrench) page 2, item 4.

Are you using any other customizations, such as eye tracking, servo etc.?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

This is kind of funny. I don't have BBF set up and mine doesn't chirp when I acquire focus with the shutter button. The manual is quite clear on how it's to be set up, but I still don't get a beep. If I "enable", I get touch beeps, but no focus beep.

I never noticed it until I read your post and started looking in the manual and menus and I've been using the R5 for 7 months. I kind of like the focus chirp, so I would of thought I'd have noticed it by now. Go figure 🙂 I might backup my camera and do a factory reset.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I wonder what versions of firmware are involved here...  My camera is set to 1.5.2.  and my lens is a 100-500 set to firmware version 1.0.9  What versions of lenses and firmware do you folks have?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

That was the first thing I did when I got the camera last Monday— to update the firmware. Of note, I reached out to Canon and they emailed me an answer…

We recommend removing the [Metering+AF Start] function from the shutter button when assigning the AF-ON button for autofocus. This way the camera will only be looking for confirmation from one function.”

I have the AE lock button assigned to BBF/servo/AF eye detection. I wonder if that’s the problem. Unfortunately I'm out of town without my camera and couldn’t test this hypothesis.

Announcements