cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus Beep confirmation

Noli
Contributor

Why is is it that I do not get a confirmation focus beep nor the focus box turning green while using a back button focus? I am not on Servo and it works if I revert back to the normal shutter button focus?  It also works if I use the touch screen to focus?

12 REPLIES 12

FWIW, I have removed focus an exposure from the shutter button, and BBF assigned to the AF-ON button, an autofocus lock assigned to AE-Lock button.  I have the three C-(1-3) settings.  C1 is configured to track animal eyes, with servo and high-speed continuous, C2 is the same but for humans, and C3 is set to track with no priority.  The default settings for Av etc. are single shot.  I tend to use single point focus and exposure.

I didn't really think about beeping for focus and I get the green box.  When I actually checked the beep was off, but was restored when I turned it back on again.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor, my firmware is up to date, including the RF 100-500, but it doesn't matter which lens I use with the R5. It's fine on the R6 and chirps as expected with BBF or shutter button.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I reset the camera and while assigning the AF-ON button for my BBF, I remembered setting another AF behavior from within the info button. There were 3 choices— maintain current settings (which will follow the setting in AF menu), one shot and servo. I must’ve chosen servo in this info detail setting, thereby overriding the setting in the AF menu. In essense, the reason why I am not getting a confirmation focus beep and focus box turning into green is that I am essentially shooting in servo mode.

Thanks again!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements