cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First visit here, trying to load a ds6041 into new computer with Windows8.

joein10asee
Contributor

Newbie here. Hope I'm asking this on the right place.

I've been trying to get my DS6041 to work in Win8, not having any luck. I have tried downloading the disc for both 10d and a 300d with no results. When I open the zoombrowser and try to connect the camera I get popup that says "Camera not found"

This EOS has worked fine with WinXP since I got it (way back when) . Is there a new driver I have to upload or something?

By the way... the label on my camera says DS6041 , DC8.1V, No. 1760515654... is this a 10D or a 300D?

Thanks, Joe

17 REPLIES 17

hsbn
Whiz

I got the 300D but first time heard of DS6041. Anway, a quick google search show it's a 300D (original Rebel). But there is a huge different between the 10D and the 300D, search google for photo and you can tell for sure.

Anyway, are you using Win8 x64 bit? there is no driver for older camera for 64bit version of windows; But you still can transfer the images to your PC by changing the Communication mode to PTP and you can access your camera to download photo like a mass-storage-device. However, you still will not be able to use the EOS Utility.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I just got a new dell desktop and it has Windows 8.. Is that the same as Win7 - 64bit? I've searched the images till I'm cross-eyed :-). The 300d seems to have a logo in the bottom corner on the front that says 300d, mine only says  Digital rebel. Which makes me think I have the 10d?

Edit to add.. how do I change the Communication mode to PTP? Is that in the camera or my PC?

OK, I found the paperwork from the computer and it does have Win8 - 64bit. So it looks like I'm outta luck using the zoombrowser (which I LOVED on my old computer). So now if someone would be kind enough to tell me how to change the Communication mode to PTP I'd be grateful

Thanks,

Joe

You can still use the zoombrowser after you download your image into your computer. You may need to download the latest version of zoombrowser so it will be compatible with Win8 (I don't use it so I'm not sure if there is such a version exist or not).
To change the communication mode, press MENU then navigate to Menu Shooting 2 -> change communication from NOrmal to PTP.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Ok, thanks hsbn. I got the communication issue fixed and was able to open the pix. Now if Stephen would find out why it doesnt seem to work in Win8 I'd be good to go. In my old computer all I had to do was plug in the Rebel and turn it on, the zoombrowser would open automatically thne. it was pretty user friendly.... NOT like this dang Win8!

Thanks, Joe

Hi joein10asee!

The Canon Forums aren't intended for immediate technical support. If you require urgent assistance, we ask that you contact our Technical Support Team either by phone or email by CLICKING HERE

We hope that's helpful!

Thanks. Will do!
Joe

Here's tidbit that may be of use.  I have Windows 7 64 bit OS and when I got my T4i I found that I couldn't view raw file thumbnails using Windows Explorer or Windows Photo Viewer.  I found the Codec's available from Canon didn't work with the 64 bit OS and though MIcrosoft has 64 bit codec's, they didn't work with Canon raw format files.

All isn't lost though.  I found a set of codec's at [Removed link - please see FORUM GUIDELINES]

They do cost $15 but they do work on my setup without a problem, and they do list as being available for Windows 8 64 bit OS.

By the way, while researching this problem, I had emailed Canon Tech Support, they did not mention this solution or anything useful regarding raw thumbnails on Windows 64 bit OS other than using things like DRR.  I don't know if they didn't know or were embarrassed to suggest using 3d party codecs.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much. I'll give it a try
Joe
Announcements