cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First camera too many choices.

JuDe1
Apprentice

Hello, 

Id like to buy a first camera (i have an old pentax optio which is cool for underwater but so frustrating for all other situations). Im basically upgrading from a iphone which is perfect for family pictures around the house. 

Id like a camera for when we go on hikes/camping trips to take pictures of the river (and my boyfriend kayaking down class 3-4 rapids and surfing). The cell phone has been taking ok pictures but there’s something missing with the action shots.
I’ve also been dreaming of taking nice clear shots of the night sky and other natural phenomenon. 

ill never be pro, i want to keep my budget under 800 taxes in. ( I was originally going for maximum 600 without taxes but i could stretch the budget if it’s really worth it)

I saw t7, t6i(used), r100(open box), r50 (refurbished). And I am confused about what I really need for what I want to do.  
the t7 price refurbished is interesting but then i look at the other camera that has a little bit more and It’s tempting.  I also saw the m200 which seemed interesting in terms of size to carry. 

I read a file from someone here to help decide and it’s as far as I can go because I don’t have that much knowledge of all the technicalities and it feels like when i ask at a store they want to sell me something i don’t really need or over my budget. I also looked at some comparisons but i have a hard time defining what i really need vs the extra that looks nice but maybe is not needed in my situation?

thanks for the help. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The R100 is an “absolute beginner” camera body.  The R50 is more of an “entry level” camera body.  If the refurbished R50 is within your budget, then I would recommend it.  You will want to purchase a couple of memory cards and at least one spare battery.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Everything sounds good until the class 3/4 rapids part.  Cameras are not waterproof and if it gets ejected from the raft, it's done.  Most cameras do not have the IP68 rating like most modern cellphones.

Otherwise, I think the R50 is a great beginner's camera for someone looking to branch out from his/her mobile device.  I think you'll really like the pictures and will appreciate what various lenses can do that a cellphone can't.

Stay away from the M series as it has been discontinued.  I'd also be leery of open box items.  You'll want to purchased from a Canon Authorized Dealer.  This ensures your product has a warranty and is will not be grey market. 

Here is a list of Canon Authorized Dealers.  Online and Retail:

https://www.usa.canon.com/content/dam/canon-assets/authorized-dealers/canon-ad-05-15-24.pdf 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The R100 is an “absolute beginner” camera body.  The R50 is more of an “entry level” camera body.  If the refurbished R50 is within your budget, then I would recommend it.  You will want to purchase a couple of memory cards and at least one spare battery.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Everything sounds good until the class 3/4 rapids part.  Cameras are not waterproof and if it gets ejected from the raft, it's done.  Most cameras do not have the IP68 rating like most modern cellphones.

Otherwise, I think the R50 is a great beginner's camera for someone looking to branch out from his/her mobile device.  I think you'll really like the pictures and will appreciate what various lenses can do that a cellphone can't.

Stay away from the M series as it has been discontinued.  I'd also be leery of open box items.  You'll want to purchased from a Canon Authorized Dealer.  This ensures your product has a warranty and is will not be grey market. 

Here is a list of Canon Authorized Dealers.  Online and Retail:

https://www.usa.canon.com/content/dam/canon-assets/authorized-dealers/canon-ad-05-15-24.pdf 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi, thanks for your answer.
I will not be in the water with the camera when I take pictures (nor will the camera be in the kayak with me if ever). 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you really want an outdoor/watersports camera, you might look at an Olympus TG, where TG stands for "tough".

I don’t want to spend that much on a waterproof camera since I have my waterproof pentax if I need and my cell phone. 

Announcements