cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request - "DSLR mode" for RF cameras

nilehawver
Apprentice

I switched from using the 5DIV to the R5 and R6 and couldn't be happier with the cameras and their image quality. 

However, the amazing rear screens have caused me to develop some pretty awful usage habits that are leading to a lot of back and neck pain. Instead of holding the camera to my eye, I now shoot with it a few inches in front of me, which leads to slumped posture, strain, and poor ergonomics in general. 

Since I will never have the self-discipline to only use the viewfinder, I was hoping there was a shooting mode that allowed me to look through the viewfinder to frame and shoot, and use the rear screen for viewing only. However, it appears that I can shut off the rear screen entirely, or manually flip it around, but both of those modes are a bit annoying when I want to review images with clients. 

So- I'd love to request a mode where the rear screen is disabled as a viewfinder, but is available for image review- basically the same as traditional DSLR. 

Here's hoping this can be added through a firmware update- it would really save my neck (literally!) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Press / toggle the "INFO" button until you come to the settings screen (see attached pg. 87 of the manual), and leave it there. You will still see the shot you took but how long depends on how many seconds you have it set for. The screen will look differently, depending on the mode you are in. I use "Auto 2" in the Wrench 3, Screen / Viewfinder menu.

Info Button.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I hate to say this, but:

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this...

Doesn't it have a sensor to know when you put your eye up to the viewfinder? Can you put a bit of tape over that sensor?

Doctor: Well, don't do that!

I mean, yeah, I would love it if I could just not use my big beautiful rear screen with great color and contrast that also allows me to put my camera into weird places, but in the thick of a shoot I'm gonna just go for it. One less thing for me to think about if the option just isn't there!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sorry My post got scrambled when I edited. The doctor patient thing should have been together.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Press / toggle the "INFO" button until you come to the settings screen (see attached pg. 87 of the manual), and leave it there. You will still see the shot you took but how long depends on how many seconds you have it set for. The screen will look differently, depending on the mode you are in. I use "Auto 2" in the Wrench 3, Screen / Viewfinder menu.

Info Button.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Huh, that actually seems like it'll work. Thanks! Obviously more of a "workaround" than a true fix, but that's up to Canon at this point. 🙂

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

There is a menu option to select viewfinder only. Wouldn’t that solve your problem? 

B9686200-A33F-4624-864A-35811D3562BF.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Mike, if you go that route, all menu items, including the shots that were taken, can only be viewed / changed using the EVF. The OP wants to see the shot just taken on the rear LCD.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

That is unfortunate and I guess I’ll mark that one down as another reason to keep shooting my DSLRs. 😉

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

That is unfortunate and I guess I’ll mark that one down as another reason to keep shooting my DSLRs. 😉

It's really not that big of a deal. Once you toggle it to "info", it's identical to the 5D IV (info/toggle) in that regard, at least mine is. I have the 5D IV and the R5.

Announcements