cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty EOS 90D? - Options missing from menu

Rmbennett30
Contributor

I recently purchased my 90d body from a reputable 2nd hand camera dealer (even though I now wish it had been through canon's refurbished) and it appears my camera isnt even a 90d.   I just went in and saw the firmware was a very outdated firmware, so updated it from 1.0 to 1.11 and hoped it fixed my issue, however it is STILL the same problem.   My problem is I am watching youtube videos of people explaining how to use my new to me camera and have gotten to parts from several different posters who show that on the 4th page in the red section of the settings menu, there should be a way to switch the camera from electronic to manual shutter modes, as well as touch shutter.   BOTH of those options are missing entirely from my settings menu.   Does anyone here know what might be wrong with my camera????    Did I purchase a bad camera or something???? Why is the shutter sections totally missing from my settings menu????    Any help would be greatly appreciated!   I am really liking the camera so far, but this is a total deal breaker for me, if it isn't even a 90d.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Electronic shutter is available in live view mode only.  Electronic shutter is not available in certain situations. Viewfinder with high speed continuous and/or low speed continuous, or in silent shooting mode. I don't have a 90D handy and it has been a long time since I handled one but I believe that is accurate.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Rmbennett30,

In addition to the excellent advice you have received from other people, I would strongly encourage you to download the manual for your camera. You Tube videos can only take you so far.

The model of your camera should be stamped right on the front. If you have doubts, you can always take a picture and download it to your computer. If you have an image viewing or editing software program, you can pull up the EXIF data for that image. It will tell you what kind of camera took that picture.

I read up on it a little. Electronic shutter is not available in the viewfinder shooting on a 90D. You have to be in Live View. Once you put your camera in Live View, the menus are a little different than when you are in Viewfinder shooting. Put your camera in Live View, then start scrolling through the menus you are looking for.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Always best to purchase equipment from authorized Canon resellers.   If you're able to return the camera, do look into doing that.

Regarding not seeing menu items... it will depend upon what mode you have the camera set to.  If you're in Auto mode, not all menu items will be present.  Switch to other modes such as Aperture Priority (Av), Program (P) or even Manual (M).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Oh emm gee.  I feel like a complete idiot now!!!   Thank you!!!   Going to try that now!!!     Ma’am I feel like a total amateur

Sadly, after checking all the modes, it still doesn’t have the shutter options.   Will contact the camera dealer when they open to k on refund

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Electronic shutter is available in live view mode only.  Electronic shutter is not available in certain situations. Viewfinder with high speed continuous and/or low speed continuous, or in silent shooting mode. I don't have a 90D handy and it has been a long time since I handled one but I believe that is accurate.

EB

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Rmbennett30,

I thought you were going to grab an R10 or R7 based on your last post?  What happened?

You missed the black friday promotions, but Christmas is less than 3 weeks away.  I strongly suggest you not invest in DSLR and EF/EF-S glass at this stage.  Since you are starting out, there is nothing keeping you from enjoying / benefitting from Canon's latest mirrorless offerings.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Since you are starting out, ..."

I totally agree if the OP is starting form scratch.

EB

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Rmbennett30,

In addition to the excellent advice you have received from other people, I would strongly encourage you to download the manual for your camera. You Tube videos can only take you so far.

The model of your camera should be stamped right on the front. If you have doubts, you can always take a picture and download it to your computer. If you have an image viewing or editing software program, you can pull up the EXIF data for that image. It will tell you what kind of camera took that picture.

I read up on it a little. Electronic shutter is not available in the viewfinder shooting on a 90D. You have to be in Live View. Once you put your camera in Live View, the menus are a little different than when you are in Viewfinder shooting. Put your camera in Live View, then start scrolling through the menus you are looking for.

Steve Thomas

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements