cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast camera recommendations for birding/action

TareqPhoto
Contributor

Hi all,

I have some old cameras i was using for sports and they're fast for birds, but because they are old models i am thinking about to upgrade them to something new, so what are your recommendations for birding/wildlife and sports/action cameras?

The cameras are 1DX/1D3/30D.

23 REPLIES 23

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" i even sold my 1D2n because of 1DX, it was big difference, even from 1Ds2 to 1Ds3 was a difference, ..."

Well everyone believes what they want to believe. You must go with that to make your choices and decisions.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TareqPhoto
Contributor

Yes indeed!

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

While you say 'fast camera' I assume you are looking at frame rate.  In that case, I would recommend the FF R6II. The R6II has the superior build, much newer and superior focusing system, and better ISO performance.

The R6II seems to be on sale right now and there is anticipation of a new, R6III being announced later this year - which would be about right for the lifecycle period so far with this model.  Waiting a while for the R6III to be announced should give you a choice to either go for that, or grab a bargain for a brilliant camera in the R6II.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

Canon just announced new cameras, but i know the price is still the same for any new camera, i don't buy used cameras, so i will see on some old models that are still great with some offerings if possible, R6II is definitely a remarkable camera, and yes, i was meaning frame rate as a fast camera, having 1DX making me hungry for frame rate really, coming along from 30D to 1D non S series for sports until i reached 1DX and its 12fps, so i was thinking maybe something for 14-20fps from current models of mirrorless.

I was thinking about R7 because it is cheaper and has a crop factor and also 33mp, thought about it as a replacement for 1D3, then later i can add something like R5/R6 new versions, i wish to get Canon R1 as an upgrade to my 1DX, but this won't happen any soon, so i will see if i can afford R6II as you recommended.

Thank you very much,

Tareq

Announcements