cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREAKING OUT! Photos lost. Firmware not supported and all images gone.

cshipley678
Contributor

Hi. I bought a new lens. Put the baby on and went to work. when turning on my camera, got the message "Attached lens may not work properly because it is not supported by the camera firware." I have a canon eos r and I put my 50mm 1.8 on it. I hit ok button and did a whole photo shoot, looked at pics everything was fine. Finished shoot, turned off camera, came home to upload and NO PHOTOS at all on my card. Can I save this? ugh. I'm not even a rookie at this. So dissapointed in myself. Hoping the image sare still there somewhere on card. Any advice?

14 REPLIES 14

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Which 50mm f/1.8 do you have.  The EF or RF version?  I'm assuming it's the EF version and that you're using an adapter?  If so, which specific adapter are you using?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I actually have the RF lens.

No adapter

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@cshipley678 wrote:

Hi. I bought a new lens. Put the baby on and went to work. when turning on my camera, got the message "Attached lens may not work properly because it is not supported by the camera firware." I have a canon eos r and I put my 50mm 1.8 on it. I hit ok button and did a whole photo shoot, looked at pics everything was fine. Finished shoot, turned off camera, came home to upload and NO PHOTOS at all on my card. Can I save this? ugh. I'm not even a rookie at this. So dissapointed in myself. Hoping the image sare still there somewhere on card. Any advice?

It looks like the only firmware updaet that involves a 50mm lens is 1.8; it says:

1. Improves color balance when the RF50mm F1.8 STM lens is attached to the EOS R camera.

Nothing to do with actually supporting use of gthe lens.

How do you know there are no photos on the card? Did you remove card from camera and insert into a card reader?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I took it out of Camera, put in a card reader and tried to upload to lightroom, no photos. Took it out and put in my camera, No photos 😞 Trying to recover them but no such luck so far.

You said you looked at pics on the camera - how?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I looked at them as I was shooting (playback) yesterday..... I never turned my camera off until the end. Then when trying to upload to my reader, no photos. and then I put it back in my camera and still no photos.

yes. I removed it from my camera and tried to upload to lightroom, no photos, then, put it back in my camera, no photos. I'm trying recovery but no such luck as of yet.

Peter
Authority
Authority

It may be that the pictures you saw on the camera display just were saved to RAM and not the card. That would explain why they disappeard after a restart. With that said you can always try Recuva or Photorec to scan the card for lost photos.

How the heck does that happen? All of the pics? I was scrolling through them all during shoot. I'm not sure what would have changed on my camera to have that happen. Can they be recoverd from RAM?

Announcements