cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External power for T5

Joak
Contributor
Hello,
Just wondering if there is a way to power the T5 externally. Preferably a way to plug it into something like a “juice box” or any external power supply via USB port.

I saw an AC adapter, but I need something that I can use while shooting outside.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

@Joakwrote:
Hello,
Just wondering if there is a way to power the T5 externally. Preferably a way to plug it into something like a “juice box” or any external power supply via USB port.

I saw an AC adapter, but I need something that I can use while shooting outside.

Thanks

No DSLR that I'm aware of, and certainly not the T5, can draw power through its USB port. If you're going to be hiking or something, I guess you'll just have to carry extra batteries.

If you're going to be doing something stationary, like astrophotography, you could use a diesel or gasoline-powered alternator and plug the camera's AC adapter into that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Joak
Contributor
Thanks.

I know the camera can’t be powered via USB itself, but there are external power units with female USB ports in which power chords are plugged. That’s what I meant.

Like the AC adapter I’ve seen online. Do they make something like that with a male USB connection instead of the actual prongs that plug into a wall outlet?

@Joakwrote:

Do they make something like that with a male USB connection instead of the actual prongs that plug into a wall outlet?

No.  The voltage coming out of a USB port is too low to charge your camera’s battery.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lly3988
Rising Star

It is possible to use external power with dummy battery to extend the dslr shooting hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OXD3ENA_UA

Of course there are a lot of other suggestions online. You may use a battery grip and install 2 batteries to double your shooting time.

I am not sure if Canon has the dummy battery for this particular model but it is a very common method to use dummy adapters for dslr and mirror-less. I have used them on my cameras using LP E6 batteries with success.

lly3988
Rising Star

Go to Canon website and check accessories for your T5, you will find Canon DR-E10. You need to connect to an external battery pack that supply 7.4 to 9 volts. ( 9 volt is safe and never try 12 volts, unless you want to brick your camera)

Joak
Contributor
I see the DR-E10. But I’m not sure how I could connect it to a battery pack. I think you can only plug it into a wall.

There are a lot of tutorials online. Google them.

The dummy battery has a wire with two connection points + and - like all DC powered devices. They have different connectors. You have to find the right connector to adapt to a USB power bank. It's simple like that.

Have you actually spent 5 minutes of your time viewing the Youtube instruction which I have posted earlier ?

This video provide a straight forward solution to your need. Don't just ask and ignore the answer.

BTW, compatible DR E10 with DC cable is only $10 or less.

Joak
Contributor
Haha, alright settle down. I found something that may work.
And thanks for the link. I know what I NEED to do—I know what the “solution” is. I just wanted to find the appropriate adapter. And yes, I spent about 5 minutes of my time looking...not a second more. Why do you think I come here? Because I actually like chit chat? I have questions regarding Canon products so I come here to ask them.

Thanks again

Announcements