cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External mic not working with 5DSR

MarkRB
Apprentice

Hi there. I rarely shoot video with my 5DSr, but recently had cause too. I tried to use an external Rode Videomicro mic. From what I can tell it should work with my camera. I've gone into setting, found Sound recording and set to manual. But wherever I set the recording level I just get nothing showing on the meter. The microphone works with my iPhone. I'm wondering if the mic socket on my 5DSr is somehow faulty / not supplying the power to the mic? Any help greatly appreciated - even though I don't shoot much video this is now driving me nuts!

3 REPLIES 3

Thanks Jarmin69 - I think you may be right. It's the first time I've tried an external mic on the camera. Will try contacting Canon.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That Rode Videomicro mic seems to come packaged with different adapter cables for different use cases.  They even package one without any adapter cables.  I would not expect a cable for an iPhone to also work with a DSLR.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

MarkRB
Apprentice

Hmm - ok, thanks Waddizzle. Interesting. It's not my mic (I've borrowed it) so not sure what cables it came with. The connectors are both the right sizes - I had to use an adaptor for my iPhone.

Announcements