cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposure simulation and lines on Live View

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Looked through the PDF manual but couldn't zero in on anything specific. Two items here.

1. I was taking some shots of the moon last night. Camera was set on Av- 2/5 sec., f/5, 110mm, ISO 3200 (Auto). The Exposure Simulation icon was flashing. Found this in the manual but nothing why it was flashing. Did I over look something?

2. The Live View showed two vertical lines on it but they aren't on the photo in File Explorer.

As always, your help is most appreciated.

Two months ago, I couldn't spell Fotografter. Now I are one! Smiley Very Happy

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
11 REPLIES 11

Danny

Hi, Tintype_18!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

My oversight. Canon EOS Rebel T7 1500D. Will get the rest of thei info later today.

John

The moon photo was taken with a Canon EOS Rebel T7 1500D. Settings are: Av, 2/5 sec., f/5, 110mm, ISO 3200. Unedited photo attached.

IMG_8577.JPG

John

Tintype,

Not sure about the lines but the exposure flashing was probably issuing a warning that the moon was overexposed.

The moon is completely blown out from overexposure and looks like the sun doing a partial eclipse.

I would suggest lower ISO and faster shutter speed.

Attached images were shot with Canon 1DX III, the first with an EF 800 f5.6 lens and the second with a Celestron 1100HD telescope

The first shot using the EF 800 was shot at f7.1, 1/160, ISO 100; the second is with the telescope which is equivalent to 2800mm, f10 and was shot at 1/800, ISO 1250.

I would fix your ISO at a lower value and use a shorter exposure.

Rodger

EF 800.JPG

Celestron.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Many thanks, Rodger. I might have set ISO to Auto out of hesitation to have a specific setting.

Those are great shots. I can see Whats-his-name's golf ball. Looks like he will need a sand wedge to get out of the crater to salvage par.

Edit- Will look at conditions tonight. Will take a photo with your suggestions in mind.

John

If you want the moon properly exposed, and everything elsee dark, use the looney 11 rule:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_11_rule

If you want it all exposed correctly, you will need two shots, one for the moon and another with the foreground and merge them in post.

@kvbarkley wrote:

If you want the moon properly exposed, and everything elsee dark, use the looney 11 rule:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_11_rule

If you want it all exposed correctly, you will need two shots, one for the moon and another with the foreground and merge them in post.

Yes, manual exposure as indicated above.

The moon is a very small part of the frame, so the camera is going to base exposure on the majority of the frame, which is dark sky.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

FWIW, tried a couple of shots last night. Photos were blurred and deleted. Looks like today is cloudy so might not get any shots tonight. I recall a thread about photographing the moon. Will find it and read it.

Thanks to all!

Edit: Did a search and found this from a previous post. Need to take time to go through it. So much to learn for one photo!

https://photographylife.com/landscapes/how-to-photograph-moon

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

The moon photo was taken with a Canon EOS Rebel T7 1500D. Settings are: Av, 2/5 sec., f/5, 110mm, ISO 3200. Unedited photo attached.

IMG_8577.JPG

Hi Tintype_18, It took me several trial sessions to get my settings right for "Moon Shots". I am very inexperienced but finally, get some decent "Moon Shots". Listen to the expert advice here and keep trying.

This attached Moon Shot was taken with my EOS Rebel SL2 / EF-S18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens at 135mm, Tv mode @ 1/1000s, f5.6, ISO 400. That seems to be my "sweet spot" for a Moon Shot" on a clear night with my 18-135 mm zoom lens. My camera was mounted on a tripod and I use a BR-E1 Bluetooth remote shutter control. This unedited image has only been cropped in Photoshop Elements to 1000px x 1000px.

IMG_0391.JPG

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
Announcements