cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos Utility Problems Canon 6D

gwhib
Contributor

I have posted on this subject before, I cannot get the Eos Utility to work on my Windows 8.1 Desktop Computer, in the last two months I have had a new setup, previously I have managed to get it working on 8.1 on the old one, I have downloaded the latest version but it will not work using wi-fi (that's another issue) or USB, I do not get an icon on the task bar so I cannot download any of my new photos, the other thing is that when connected via USB the camera should show in Windows Explorer I think that Canon's utility program is a pigs breakfast, as for Wi-Fi nothing I do will persuade the camera to connect via Wi-Fi although I can get it to connect to my iPad, anybody who can help me reduce my blood pressure, bring it on

12 REPLIES 12

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

OK first off does Win 8.1 see the 6D?  When you open My Computer do you see the 6D?  This is the first step to reducing your blood pressure.

I use Win 8.1, don't like it, but I use it.  The EOS Utility see's all my cameras except from the 1D Mk IIn back. So it is possibile.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for reply, no 8.1 does not recognize the camera I have used both USB 2 & USB3 incase that was the problem

That means the problem is with your machine and not EOS Utility.  Now, at least, you know where to start looking.

EB

I cannot imagine why that would be, every other exterior drive is picked up and I can remember having the same problem on my previous computer, it doesn't show in devices either, any suggestions?

Yes.

Disable the 6D wifi and reconnect the USB and try again.

Does your computer see just the memory card in it's card reader slot?

Does the computer see other USB devices using the same USB hook-up?

EB

I have done the wi-fi suggestion no difference, the card reader works ok with SD card from the camera and the USB slots all work ok and sees all other devices, I have put a question on the Microsoft forum to see if I can get a solution there

Though it wasn't previously installed, I did install the latest downloadable EOS Utility for my Canon 5D Mark II. I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit. 

I don't have any difficulty having the utility recognize my camera when teathered by USB.

Generally speaking, when you have confirmed that the USB ports are visible in the Device Manager window, are able to connect other devices but not the camera, and have eliminated obvious problems such as a defective USB cable, then the problem is almost certainly a driver problem.

Canon advises that no drivers are available, or needed beyond what Windows offers, for the computer to recognize your camera. Clearly this isn't working.  I would suggest you attempt to repair your copy of Windows 8.1 either by going to control panel and selecting troubleshooting > configure a device or you attempt to reinstall from your original Windows 8.1 DVD and select repair on startup.

Good luck.

Note: If your camera goes to sleep while teathered to your computer you may need to cycle the power to have it recognized within the EOS Utility.

I have somehow got the computer to recognize the camera but still cannot get Eos utility to work everything is greyed out except monitor folder

Are you hooking up the 6D first and then starting EOS Utility?  Get the computer to see the camera and after

it does start EOS Utility.

It is correct that there are no additional drivers required. Canon supplies MS with all the drivers

and they are included with Win 8.

EB
Announcements