cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos R5 Exposure simulation with Flash attached feature request.

tobylong
Apprentice

Hi, just a R5 feature request to be able to allocate a button to preview ambient exposure when a flash is attached to the hotshoe. My current workaround/hack is to enable Expo. simulation and assign DOF preview button to Cropping/aspect ratio, I can then press DOF twice to simulate ambient exposure then 1/2 press shutter button to return to the normal viewfinder when flash is attached. Would be better to just be able to select it once and use the shutter 1/2 press to go back. Unless I am missing something? T

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You cannot preview a flash exposure.  The flash must be fired when the shutter is fired.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle. Just ambient light preview, not flash.

@tobylong wrote:

Thanks Waddizzle. Just ambient light preview, not flash.

Correct.

tobylong
Apprentice

Yes that's what I meant in the original post.

Scott_Lanyard
Apprentice

Yes, that would be really helpful for all photographers using fill-flash or off-camera flash e.g. in portrait and product photography and so on.

It's really problematic as soon as there is a flash or a trigger attached to the hotshoe, the exposure simulation is turned off.

I know that it isn't possible to simulate flash exposure but that's anyway not what tobylong and me want. As I understand the original poster (and what my wish would be), we want to still be able to simulate ambient exposure e.g. in M, Fv, and other semi-automatic modes, before hitting the shutter button with the flash/trigger attached. With this ability we just have to dial in the fill-flash power as we like it and the ambient exposure remains as we set it before.

At the moment there's only one workaround to achieve this: 1) turn off the flash/trigger 2) set your preferred exposure 3) turn on the flash/trigger and set your preferred flash power and take the picture.

@Canon: Please allow for ambient exposure simulation even when a flash/trigger is attached... at least in M mode. Thank you!

I really do not understand this issue.  What you appear to be asking for has already been implemented in the camera bodies.

If ExpSIM is disabled, then what do you think the camera is displaying, instead.  The camera is displaying ambient light exposure.  You can also set your camera to configure your EVF to behave like an OVF on a DSLR.

Scott_Lanyard
Apprentice

Hey Waddizzle, thanks for your reply.

Here is a video I uploaded to show you the issue we have:

https://we.tl/t-OY8sLnG3rF

Please start a new thread for your issue.  Thanks, ahead of time.

Scott_Lanyard is asking for the same as the original post.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements