cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of the Line for M Series, Finally?

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Canon Japan formally discontinues the last EOS-M cameras, saying goodbye to EF-M: Digital Photograph...

If so, is Canon finally starting to reduce its legacy platforms? They are taking their lead from an article from Canon Rumors: Canon EOS-M has been quietly discontinued (canonrumors.com)  In does seem that the M-series has disappeared from the USA catalogue and my local NZ catalogue listing. 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
18 REPLIES 18

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Wow, is Canon really discontinuing the M series without replacing it?  That makes me stop and wonder about this news/rumor.

I never quite understood why it was not as popular in the US as it has been in other regions around the world.  The initial models were not capable of remote control and shooting for some reason, which was corrected on later models.  

The M series compact MILC lineup was a good match to compete with Sony A6xxx bodies.   I would find it hard to believe that Canon would simply throw in the towel on that demographic.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The R-series line replaces it (EOS R50 and R100).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

The R-series line replaces it (EOS R50 and R100).

The R50 and R100 are both entry and beginner bodies, xxxxD and xxxD bodies, with feature sets comparable to the Rebel DSLRs.  The M Series had the M6, M50, M100, and M100.  All of those M bodies had feature sets that were comparable to the xxxD and xxD DSLRs.

Well, there is the R7, which I would equate roughly to the EOS 90D (I'm still waiting to see if they ever produce a 7D series replacement). 
I would not equate the most of the bodies you quote, with the exception of the M50, to DSLRs - for the simple reason they didn't include integrated viewfinders.  Most of the M-series were provided only with a rear LCD, which reduced the size and made them great for wider angle lenses used for social media and vlogging, but meant that using them for telephoto work was challenging as holding them at arms' length made them inherently unstable platforms for longer glass, and pretty unbalanced.  That was not the case with DSLRs.  The only two cameras with integrated EVFs were the M5 - which was the still photographers' camera, and the M50's which were more a hybrid vloggers' body.  I still have the M5 units and prefer them over the M50 because of the EV compensation dial on the top, which is missing on the M50's.  While there were adapters to add EVFs to some of the other bodies, they were clunky, fragile and negated any weather sealing statements of the modified units.
I saw the M series as the super compact travel, social and vlogging gear that offered significantly better sensors and potentially optics, over the PowerShot series which had taken a hammering at the expense of cell phones.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"Wow, is Canon really discontinuing the M series without replacing it? That makes me stop and wonder about this news/rumor."

You make it sound like the market for interchangeable Lens cameras is growing and thriving. To survive you must be strongly differentiated from cell phone cameras and the M series was not that.

@kvbarkley wrote:

"Wow, is Canon really discontinuing the M series without replacing it? That makes me stop and wonder about this news/rumor."

You make it sound like the market for interchangeable Lens cameras is growing and thriving. To survive you must be strongly differentiated from cell phone cameras and the M series was not that.

I did not suggest the camera markets are growing.  I would disagree with that opinion of M Series bodies.  The image quality rivals that of midrange DSLRs, if not better.  

I do not know why M series are far more popular and widely accepted outside of the US.  Rather, I do not know why M series are not more popular and widely accepted in the US.

The M series bodes match up well against the Sony A6xxx bodies, not cell phones.  Nikon does not offer anything comparable.  Is Canon just going to back out and let Sony own the entry level MILC market?  That sounds crazy, to me.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I think this decision was largely tied into size and convenience. People that want a tiny formfactor today are likely to bring their phone over a MILC camera. If you want small, the majority of people are going to pull out their phone. If you want more than point and shoot (which the M series is and isn't) then you are going all in for a larger body and lenses.

While the M series did offer significant versatility, it has been somewhat eclipsed by mobile devices. I'm OK with a larger body and am old enough now that this will probably not change. I'm willing to be inconvenienced, or to be the guy with the camera and big lenses. For others, maybe they don't want to carry or present themselves with this. I won't show up with a big camera and lens at a party or wedding, but if I'm out and about, I'll have my camera. Phones continue to get better, but I enjoy my larger camera. Smaller cameras had their place, but like it or not, mobile devices do a pretty good job now, they are all smaller and lighter than just about any M series camera, and lens combo. The M series was never for me, but I know a lot of people really liked it.  There are still plenty of choices / options available.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm with you Rick as regards cell phones as cameras.  I will use them for things like reaching into awkward spots to record a serial number on a fridge, or take a photo of something at the supermarket. However, as far as photography goes, I want to use my dedicated cameras.
I actually still have several M5 bodies and about four EF-M lenses that are unlikely to sell, but you know what, they still take good photos, so they will have a place in my reduced arsenal of gear.  I have made the decision that, at this stage, I will not invest in R-series APS-C cameras, I will wait for a larger capacity FF body that will let me work in 1.6 crop mode and still give me a good size image file.

cheers, TREVOR

“ While the M series did offer significant versatility, it has been somewhat eclipsed by mobile devices. “

The Sony A6xxx bodies are selling well.  This is the direct competitor for the M series and probably the best reason I can see for why it is still around.

Announcements