cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embarrassing newbie question about overexposed pics ...

Thorsburg
Apprentice

I've had my Rebel EOS T2i for almost five years now ... but suddenly it's shooting extremely overexposed photographs even in full automatic mode.

As a largely self-taught amateur, I have no idea if I've bumped something onto the wrong setting, if something is dirty or needs adjusting or if the camera needs repair.  Can anyone help me trouble shoot?

The animal photos I took/tried to take yesterday if that's helpful ... the middle party pic I tried to take December 10 ...

~ LisaIMG_9000.JPGIMG_8870.JPGIMG_9143.JPG

13 REPLIES 13

ScottyP
Authority

Try going into MENU and use the reset all settings to default option. 

It it looks like you have a super long shutter speed because not only is everything bright, there is motion blur. I would guess you have dialed in about 2 stops of + exposure compensation accidentally. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I was shooting on an automatic setting - the sports mode.

It won't let me change anything in that mode .....  😞

Try shooting in RAW+JPEG and see if there's a difference between the two formats. If there is, and the RAW looks better for exposure, then the image processor might be bad. If they're both the same, then the image sensor could be the problem.

Steve M..

But you could still have Exposure Compensation dialed up, right?  I don't use the auto modes so not sure. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Thorsburg wrote:

I've had my Rebel EOS T2i for almost five years now ... but suddenly it's shooting extremely overexposed photographs even in full automatic mode.

As a largely self-taught amateur, I have no idea if I've bumped something onto the wrong setting, if something is dirty or needs adjusting or if the camera needs repair.  Can anyone help me trouble shoot?

The animal photos I took/tried to take yesterday if that's helpful ... the middle party pic I tried to take December 10 ...

~ Lisa

I looks to me like the aperture of your lens isn't stopping down properly when the picture is being taken.

I would suggest you clean the lens and camera contacts on the lens mount with some 91% isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip. (do NOT use an eraser).

Lens contacts.jpg

image from fixya.net

If you have a different lens you should try that too.

On Canon cameras the aperture stays wide open while you are composing the picture and the camera is focusing. The moment the picture is taken the camera sends electrical signals to the lens to close the aperture to the selected setting and then as soon as the photo is taken it opens back up all the way. 

@TTMartin wrote:

On Canon cameras the aperture stays wide open while you are composing the picture and the camera is focusing. The moment the picture is taken the camera sends electrical signals to the lens to close the aperture to the selected setting and then as soon as the photo is taken it opens back up all the way. 

You can also test this by setting your camera to AV mode and setting the aperture to f/22. With the lens attached to the camera while looking through the front of the lens press the Depth of Field Preview button (see your manual for where this is). You should see the aperture close down as you press the button, and open back up as you release it. If the lens is going bad, it could also not be closing as much or as quickly as it should. But, start by cleaning the contacts.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Thorsburg,

Mr. Martin and Scott's advice is very good.  Well except for cleaning the lens contacts that is.  You can try it but when it doesn't help, do the other stuff.  Especially Scott's, reset the camera to factory defaults.

Make sure your battery is not only fully charged but is in great shape.  Check the charger too.

A much easier way to eliminate the lens as the problem is to try a different lens!  Does it work with another lens?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Thorsburg,

Mr. Martin and Scott's advice is very good.  Well except for cleaning the lens contacts that is.  You can try it but when it doesn't help, do the other stuff.  Especially Scott's, reset the camera to factory defaults.

Make sure your battery is not only fully charged but is in great shape.  Check the charger too.

A much easier way to eliminate the lens as the problem is to try a different lens!  Does it work with another lens?

I double checked and the OP is correct you can't set exposure compensation when in the Sport mode. So it is most likely a lens issue.

Thorsburg, The simplest fix for that is cleaning the contacts to make sure the lens is getting enough power to close the aperture. It may be as simple as removing and reattaching the lens, to get a good contact if you have just been using the kit lens for the last 5 years.   And I agree testing with a second lens would help narrow it down too.

jentekllc8888
Apprentice

It is likely the issue of the metering sensor, which is located on top of PRISM, I have the same issue and resolved.  Please see how to:

"Root cause for Overexposure Over Exposure on Auto Mode or other mode Canon DSLR Digital SLR Camera"

https://youtu.be/9fHDxXn7h1E

I recorded this how to video that I have solved my Canon 1200D/T5 overexposure on full auto mode.

Hope this helps.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements