cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel in Polar temperatures?

sarja80
Apprentice

Hey guys, visiting somewhere with a high of -7F and a low of -20F. Do you think it's safe to use my Rebel Canon? I'm no camera expert by any stretch of the imagination, just want to know if those temperatures will break my camera. Thanks for the help

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The operating environment for Canon products is 32* to 104* (0* to 40* C)

I've used many of my cameras in the low 30s to about 100 and never had any issues.

People definitely use their cameras in low teens in 20s.  The issues you might encounter are condensation, and battery performance.  You need to be mindful of both and ensure the temperature of your equipment is equalized when you're going from one temperature extreme to another.  Condensation happens when you go from a cold environment to a warm environment.  I would suggest a sealed plastic bag and desiccant packets put your camera in it before bringing it back indoors.  You can take it out of the bag once it's warmed up.  

For batteries, I would bring two or three keeping one in the camera and two in a warm pocket near your body.  You may need to rotate them frequently as cold or freezing batteries may not perform at the rated output. If you allow your batteries to freeze It could change their chemical composition permanently.  While they may continue to work, it could decrease their effective operating life.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@sarja80 wrote:

Hey guys, visiting somewhere with a high of -7F and a low of -20F. Do you think it's safe to use my Rebel Canon? I'm no camera expert by any stretch of the imagination, just want to know if those temperatures will break my camera. Thanks for the help

Protect Your Gear with These Winter Photography Tips - 42 West (adorama.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements