Apprentice

HI

How do i insert an sd card into my canon rebel xti

11 REPLIES 11

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Molly,

Canon has put out a couple of instructional pages on how to install and remove cards into your camera.

Here's one:

Installing and removing the card on the EOS Digital Rebel XT

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART174108

I don't imagine the steps are too much different between the XT and the XTi

Steve Thomas

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Well, XTi (like the XT) require a *CF* card, not an *SD*, so there is no "SD" slot. Here is how to insert a CF card:

Untitled.jpg

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As my colleague alluded to,  your camera will not take an SD card. 

You need to get a CF Type II card - note: NOT a CF Express card.  These CF cards are quite old technology and not as common as they used to be.  Be sure to get them from a reputable source, as there are lots of counterfeit cards available via the web. Brands like SanDisk, Lexar and Kingston should be good.

I would not get a CF card in excess of 16GB  to avoid issues with the camera's file system - your file sizes are much smaller than more modern cameras, so you don't need massive cards.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Molly2
Apprentice

Which usb should i purchase to view my images on my computer?

Molly,

Your manual recommends that you use Interface Cable IFC-400PCU.

I have always had success using the USB cables that Canon itself recommends. You can buy them direct from Canon.

If you don't have a User Manual for your Xti, you can find an online copy here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/991136/Canon-Eos-Rebel-Xti.html#manual

see p. 3.     page 107 has instructions on how to plug it in.

Steve Thomas

The Canon cable your manual recommends, which came with the camera when new, is a standard USB A -to-Mini B cable. Generic ones are available everywhere that has cables . . . office supply stores, drugstores, computer stores, on and on.  If your computer has something other than a wide rectangular USB A port, you need that connector-to-Mini B.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Just search your favorite site for "CF card reader"

Depending on your computer, you might want to get one with the oval USB-C rather than the square USB-A.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

B&H Photo offers some full size SD to CF card adapters, but I've never had occasion to use one. Hopefully you can readily find a smaller capacity CF card. Even smaller capacity full size SD cards are getting hard to find. Your XTi will probably scoff at any of the newer, bigger cards.

The SD-to-CF adapters can't work in a camera. The SD card sticks out the side of the adapter. You can't put it in the camera with the SD card in it.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements