cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 upgrade recommendations

Melgag21
Apprentice

I'm finally ready to upgrade my rebel t7! I'd like to find something that I can continue using my lenses on, specifically my 70-200 f2.8 canon lens. I've done a little research but I find it overwhelming. Am I correct in that the canon eos 6d mark ii will work with the same lenses that fit the rebel t7? Any other suggestions for an upgrade? Budget is not currently an issue, so long as I can use the same lenses. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Yes and no. The EF 70-200mm F/2.8 lens lineup will work on both cameras. But EF-S lenses will only work on the Rebel T7. They won't physically mount on a full frame camera. EF & EF-S lenses can be adapted to EOS R series cameras. By using the EF-RF Mount adapter. The RF Mount is the future. The EF Mount will no longer have any further upgrades anymore. All new features will be in the RF Mount from now on.

Lens compatability pt. 1.pngLens compatability pt. 2 .png

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is wrong with the T7? I.e., what would you like to improve?

rs-eos
Elite

If wanting to move to a new camera, are you looking to stay with a DSLR as is the EOS 6D Mark II.  Or, did you want to move to the new R-series mirrorless cameras?

Here are some other notes/questions:

• I assume your intension is to move to a full-frame camera?  Note that when doing so, your EF lenses will not have as much "reach" as they would have on your current crop-sensor Rebel T7.
  • Please list out the exact lenses you have.  As Demetrius pointed out earlier, you will not be able to use EF-S lenses on full frame Canon DSLRs like the EOS 6D.   However, you could use them on R-series full frame cameras.
  • What is your total budget that could you spend towards a new camera setup?
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi melgag21,

Plenty of great advice here, and once you answer the questions above, we can make better suggestions.

Why we need to know what lenses you have now.

EF-S lenses are intended for cameras with an APS-C sensor (Like your T7)

EF Lenses are intended for full cameras with a full frame sensor. (like a 6DmkII)

You can use EF lenses on a APS-C based camera.  Using a EF-S lenses on a full frame body is not typically desirable.  Here's why.  

shadowsports_0-1689170431945.png   

Look at the image circle above.  When you put an EF or lens intended for a full frame sensor you get a much wider field of view.  The image this lens projects to the camera's sensor is larger and utilizes the full height and width of the sensor.  

Now look at the image circle with a EF-S or lens intended for a smaller APS-C size sensor.  Notice this type of lens has a more narrow field of view and the image it projects is smaller and intended for a smaller APS-C sensor.

By using a APS-C lens on a full frame camera you are effectively decreasing the resolution the camera is capable of capturing.   This is because the image the lens is capable of displaying to the sensor is not the full height or width the larger sensor is capable of capturing.

Here's an example.  You have a full frame camera that has 24MP.  You put a lens on it intended for full frame sensor, your images can be 24MP.

Now put a EF-S lens on this same body.  The image that lens projects to the sensor is smaller.  Its cropped at a 1.6x ratio.  So instead of using the sensors full 24MP ability, it can only use 9.3MP.  Let's say you purchased an R5.  Now you have 45MP, but you'll only get 17.5MP images from it if you put a APS-C lens on it.  So your resulting images will be much lower quality.  If you are going to buy a new camera, let's not cripple it.  😀

What this means.  You need to decide on full frame or APS-C.  Then on your budget.  Depending on your choice one or more of your current lenses may / may not work as you might want or expect. There is no right or wrong choice.  It depends on the type of photography you plan to do. 

Canon makes great cameras.  If possible, I would (also) recommend moving to a R series mirrorless body.  Its a great time of year, black Friday and Christmas are coming.  Thats a future discussion.

We are happy to help advise you.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements