cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Upgrade to what?

Archerywife
Apprentice

Hello, I started in photography about 2 years ago with a canon rebel t7 as my starting camera. I do dog photography for action shots and I am looking to upgrade but I have no idea what I should look into for my next camera that is made for action shots as it's main purpose. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The T7 is a popular entry level camera with a basic feature set.  What about it is not meeting your needs and what do you hope to achieve with a new body?  Higher resolution, better frame rates, better low light performance, etc?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you own lenses and are you planning to use these on a new body?  Or ready to start over, etc?    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I bought the t7 used and it is wearing out so I am looking for new options I have the two lenses that come with the entry kit but would like to upgrade when it dies and have an idea of what to look for. My budget is about $1000 right now but might change

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Archery wife,

It sounds like you are looking for a camera that has a high-speed continuous frame rate, also called burst mode.

You can do a Google search with those criteria.

A lot is going to depend on your budget and what you can afford to spend.

I have a T8i, but if it ever got lost or broken, I personally have been looking at the Canon R7.

It's capable of shooting 30 frames per second using the electronic shutter. You can also shoot 4K video at 60 frames per second and extract a single frame.

But, that's just me.

Steve Thomas

James_C

Hi, Archerywife

If you need to pick an expert's brain, our sales team can help. You can reach them weekdays and Saturdays at 1-800-385-2155. We're confident they can match you up with the perfect camera for your needs!

We hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Archery Wife,

Working within your budget.

If you want to stay with DSLR's, I'd recommend the 90D.  32.5MP, 45 AF points, an ISO range double what you have now and 10fps.  If you compare this to the T7, 24MP, 9 AF points, ISO 12,800, 3fps.

It would be a dramatic upgrade for you.  You'd have to buy Canon Refurbished or used to stay within your price point.  I didn't see refurbs in stock.  Don't be afraid of buying refurb from Canon.  These products come with the same 1yr warranty as new.  New the 90D is about $1200.

Your current lenses.  the 18~55 isn't a bad lens.  It offers modest performance and is good for wider angles and casual everyday shooting.  The 75~300 II is a different story.  It lacks IS and is not one of Canon best endeavors from a performance, speed or IQ standpoint.  It takes pictures and is very basic, but not much else.  You will be able to use both of your existing lenses with a 90D seamlessly.     

Let's just pretend for a moment you are just starting out, or have been away from photography for a while.  You want Canon's latest technology and have a slightly larger budget.  In this case, an R series body is a better choice for the following reasons.  Night a day difference from a performance standpoint.  A mirrorless body can focus faster, track subjects better and perform better under a variety (even adverse) shooting conditions, low light etc.  Don't get me wrong.  The 90D is an extremely capable camera.  However, mirroless has ecliped DSLR technolgy.

Steve's suggestion above (R7) would definitely be a great choice for someone looking to "step up" and enter the mirrorless world.  With it however, come some additional considerations.  You can adapt EF/EF-S lenses to a R series mirrorless body.  People who've done this will attest their EF series lenses perform better on a mirrorless body over a DSLR.  Brand new, the R7 is $1499.  Its on sale right now for $1399. The lens adapter EF/EF-S to EOS R is $100.

The R7 has a kit option body and RF-S 18~150mm for about $1700.  Like Steve, this would be my recommendation, but is not within your stated budget.  Take a look at this comparison.

Canon 90D vs Canon R7 Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)         

Coming from where you are now, there are (example) 10 reasons why the 90D would be a great upgrade for you, and 10 more why the R7 would be fantastic.  If you decided on the R7, I would recommend the kit option, as it would address the majority of your needs with a good path forward.  Current body, current lens options, better long term investment overall.  etc.

The 90D would be a steppingstone.  It will address many of your current wants, but at some point again, you will likely decide you want a mirrorless body.  So you are at a cross roads of deciding do it once, or do it twice.  This is what we cannot answer for you. 

Think about it.  Do a little reading and let us know if you have any questions. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well the nice thing about owning a Rebel T7 is just about any new camera is an upgrade. I love the 90D and it is certainly a great choice and will run for years without being second placed by much. It would be the only DSLR I would consider if I were you. However the logical choice is an  R series model. R series is the future and a new DSLR is not. Any lens(s) you may have will work on an R series camera but if they are in the same level as the T7, new lenses are as important as the camera even more so.

Also keep in mind the cheapest gear may not be so in the long run. Again any R series camera will be a significant upgrade for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

As I get older, weight has become a significant factor in my decision-making process.

Steve Thomas

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Sorry to hear your T7 is wearing out. Mine is about five years old and still ticking. Gotta love it. I spent part of yesterday with an established writer and photographer. I was floored when he brought out a Canon T2i! He said he had been using it for years and loved it.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Archerywife wrote:

Hello, I started in photography about 2 years ago with a canon rebel t7 as my starting camera. I do dog photography for action shots and I am looking to upgrade but I have no idea what I should look into for my next camera that is made for action shots as it's main purpose. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

I recommend sticking with your current camera and learn more about photography so that you can make informed choices.  The Moderator has made a good suggestion by offering a chance to chat with experts.  Take him up on it!

But, there is still no substitute for knowledge of the basics of photography.  These videos were released by Canon USA several years ago.  I think they would still apply to your T7.  If you have a tripod, then set your camera on a tripod, have a seat, and watch the interactive videos.

Canon EOS 101 Series 

This is a series of (13) short 4-5 minute videos that cover the basics of photography.  Save the link.  You may want to watch one or more of the topics more than once.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements