cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Battery Only Shows 50% Charge

ciderhouse_
Contributor

I got a camera three days ago. I charged the battery overnight and until about 3 pm the next day. I put the battery in the camera and turned it on and it shows two bars or 50%. I talked to somebody in canon and they told me that I should return the camera and have it exchanged. I said if I do that then I'm gonna get another camera and it will do the same thing. I have an older camera that does the same thing, with the battery at 2 bars. I went to clean the older camera and before the cleaning was done the battery was beeping and showed it was low. Somebody at canon told me that the batteries are on backorder for these cameras. The seller told me that canon ships the batteries at 50% and there was a charger for it. I would like to know what type of compatible batteries this would take because my boyfriend said to just keep it and get a battery from canon in a few months as they are on back order. At this point I'm unsure on what to do with it as it is my early Xmas present cause my other camera has no repair service if it needs to be fixed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

To add to John's helpful post, don't be put off by the reverse of black and white in the image, it's just because it was printed in the manual.  I have taken a photo from one of my cameras of the display for a partially depleted battery

OTG50002 copy.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

Mine doesn't even go that far up

Sorry, I don't understand that. The shot I took shows a solid black from the left, indicating a small degree of discharge. The solid white indicates degree of chatge. Ignore the thin diagonal stripes.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Sensor cleaning:

There are several options for this.
Clean sensor now will shake the sensor free of dust etc.
Manual cleaning will cause the camera to flip up the mirror and open the shutter, exposing the sensor.  This is something you should not be doing if you are not sure of what you are doing - it is usually done by a technician.  If you do so and tilt the camera up to look at the sensor, it is likely to let dust settle on the sensor and make things worse. The camera beeps as part of the process.  

cheers, TREVOR

@Tronhard wrote:

Sensor cleaning:

There are several options for this.
Clean sensor now will shake the sensor free of dust etc.
Manual cleaning will cause the camera to flip up the mirror and open the shutter, exposing the sensor.  This is something you should not be doing if you are not sure of what you are doing - it is usually done by a technician.  If you do so and tilt the camera up to look at the sensor, it is likely to let dust settle on the sensor and make things worse. The camera beeps as part of the process.  

The beeping must be camera specific or perhaps a low battery warning. None of my cameras have ever beeped during cleaning. I agree - if you can't clean the sensor using a blower it should go in for a professional job unless one is very confident and careful. Having the mirror decide to drop down while a nozzle or sensor wipe is inserted can be an expensive event.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

The reason I ask about where you see the marks is because if they appear when you look through the viewfinder but not on an image displayed on a screen, then you likely have a mark on the mirror or the screen above it where the mirror projects an image to the viewfinder. If that is the case, an attemt to clean the sensor will not fix that, and leaves you at risk of some serious issues.

cheers, TREVOR

It shows when I look through the eye of the viewer and the lens. The pictures have marks on them

Ok if the images you have taken have marks I strongly recommend taking in for a professional clean. Many camera stores can arrange that. Doing it yourself can land you in a lot of trouble.

cheers, TREVOR

To avoid getting objects on the sensor you should do the following.

1 Always turn off the camera if you change lenses or remove one. The sensor is energized when the camera is on and it will attract dust if the lens is not there to protect it.

2. In dusty or salty air try to avoid sudden moves like zooming if that causes a lens to get longer or shorter in pysical length. It causes the lens to suck in air and particles and can push those into the sensor area.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements