cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6i Flash not working

MurphyIRE
Contributor

I have a Cannon EOS Rebel T6i.   My pictures were coming out yellow and dark (Shutter speed & amperature settings), so I was trying to adust those settings and now I can't get the flash to come on.  Thanks in advance

MurphyIRE

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Hello MurphyIRE what mode are you currently shooting in. In the creative zone ie M, Av, Tv and P modes the flash can be disabled. I would check to make sure that the flash hasn't been disabled. Also will the AF Assist fire to aid the camera in low light or low contrast focusing. The built in flash should emit pre-fires to assist the camera while focusing.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I 've tried all.  It used to work in portrait, but now I can't get it anywhere.

With the lens cap on and the camera in Full Auto (A+ Mode, Green Square) to simulate low light. Will the built in flash emit pre-fires to aid in focusing. If not there maybe something wrong with the built in flash.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

In A+ mode and with the lens cap on the flash did pre-fire 

Will the flash fire in A+ Mode (Full Auto) when a picture is taken. If not I recommend resetting the camera back to factory default. The mode dial cannot be in the basic zone ie A+ mode. The mode dial will have to be switched to the creative zone ie M, Av, Tv or P modes to reset the camera.

-Demetrius

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

-Demetrius

I took the battery out for a while and the flash is working.

The original problem was dark and yellow walls. How do I manually set the apperature and shuter speed.  (I'm taking indoor pictures of rooms for real estate).

A detailed tutorial on how to properly set exposure is probably more than anyone here would want to contribute since it is already provided in detail in the Owner's Manual which presumably you have or can download easily here.

Setting correct exposure in the Manual mode requires adjusting shutter speed, aperture and ISO speed (camera sensitivity) while using the built-in metering to indicate if the exposure is correct.  The process is  detailed step-by-step on page 155 of the Rebel T6i - EOS 750D Manual.  Page 156 adds the basic settings when using flash.  For manual mode, settings are outlined on page 157

If instead of Manual mode you select one of the auto modes (I'd strongly suggest you start with "P" Program AE), page 159 will walk you through using exposure  compensation to change the auto-set basic exposure settings to brighten or darken the image. If you are shooting in a room with light walls and metering off one of those walls then an exposure compensation setting of +2 or +3 may be needed to brighten up the image properly. 

If after adjusting the exposure for a appropriate brightness range, you still find you have a yellow color cast, then see pages 132 & 133 to understand  'White balance" which can be set automatically, or manually to preset conditions, and can also be adjusted as needed if necessary.

thanks for the help! I will go through the various data and make the adjustments

I recommend that you learn the exposure triangle 1st. If you don't know already. Click here  to watch a video explaining how the exposure triangle works. You can follow along with the video on your camera.

-Demetrius

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

-Demetrius

Announcements