cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 won't connect to Windows computer

HollyHink
Apprentice

I have a new computer.  I have downloaded the Canon EOS utility and Digital Professional to my laptop.  When I connect my camera, my computer does not even acknowledge it.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thank you and have a great day 🙂

9 REPLIES 9

Stephen

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know more information.

What exact model camera are you using (usually on the front of the unit)?
Do you see any error messages?
Which Computer Operating System are you using (Windows 7/8/10/11 or macOS 10/11/12)?
How do you connect to your camera (USB or WiFi)?
Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

If you're in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to visit your My Canon Account to discover your personalized support options.

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks and have a great day!

I have a Canon Rebel T6. Windows 11 operating system. Trying to connect with a USB port. I would connect via WIFii but I don’t know how to do that. I get no error messages on my camera. 
thank you very much. 

@HollyHink wrote:

I have a Canon Rebel T6. Windows 11 operating system. Trying to connect with a USB port. I would connect via WIFii but I don’t know how to do that. I get no error messages on my camera. 
thank you very much. 

You stated you have a new computer. Did the camera connect to your old computer?

Since it is a new computer is the USB connection a USB-C? If so, are you using a data cable and not a charging cable? 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure the Wi-Fi is disabled.  

Try a different USB cable and different ports on the PC.  Do not use any adapters on the USB cable.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Holly:

Is the purpose of connecting to your computer just to download images, or do you want to do something else too?

If it is just to download images, the simplest (and most reliable method) is to turn the camera off, remove the card, put it into an SD card reader (either built-in or connected via a USB cable - they are cheaply available). 

When the card is attached, Windows should see the card as a drive, and you can copy your files across to a folder on your computer's hard drive.  Once copied, check the files are in the destination folder. 

Use the Eject feature in Windows File Manager (right-click on the icon for the card to get that) - this makes sure that the connections to the card are closed and you will not corrupt your card by removing it prematurely. 

Once you put the card back in your camera, use the camera's format command to clean the card (don't use delete) and you're good to go.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you Trevor. I forgot about doing this. Have an amazing day 🙂

You are most welcome. Enjoy your new computer! 😊

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I'm far from a computer expert but in the early days, I used a card reader. Then, by accident I found a card slot in the side of my Dell Computer. I download photos and check to make sure they are all downloaded. Insert the card into my T7, delete on the camera and format the card. Might not need to format but it won't hurt.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

No need to delete.  Just perform a low level format.

I am not sure what type of low level format the camera performs, but it is nowhere near as thorough as what a Windows PC would do.  The camera takes several seconds while the PC would take several minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements