cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 settings for indoor sports

Damundo
Apprentice

I just purchased a canon rebel T6. It has the standard lens and also the 75-300 mm lens. I am fairly new to the photography world, and I am trying to understand the settings and modes this camera has. My daughter has gymnastics meets and they are all indoors at various arenas. The lighting varies also. We would like to get some close-up shots during the event that she is on. We are never able to be on the floor, just around the arena. I have read a little bit on some other forums that recommend Aperture of 2.8. The lowest this camera will go is f4. Any help on these settings would be very helpful. Thank you 

11 REPLIES 11

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Damundo,

The aperture size is a function of the lens, not of the camera.

I have read that lenses do not operate at their best when used at their lowest or widest apertures, and most photographers recommend narrowing or "stopping down" their lenses a stop or two from their widest setting.

In your case, with your lenses, you might want to aim for an aperture of f/5.6.

An aperture of f/2.8 will let in more light than an aperture of f/5.6, and that's why you would see recommendations for using a wider aperture like f/2.8, but with your lenses, you don't have that option.

a 50mm f/1,8 prime lens works really well at f/2.8, and they are relatively inexpensive, but that might not give you the reach you are looking for since you can't "get on the floor" as you put it.

With variable aperture telescopic lenses like your 75-300, the widest apertures, like f/4, are available to you at their shortest telescopic range. As you zoom in, the widest apartures available to you narrow down, to ff/5.6..

Steve Thomas.

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into the 50mm lens option. 

Damundo,

You wrote, 'We would like to get some close-up shots during the event that she is on. We are never able to be on the floor, just around the arena."

A 50mm lens will not meet your needs under those circumstances.

You're going to need a telephoto lens of some kind.

Steve Thomas

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Ok, let's take this from the beginning. First the 50mm f1.8 lens is fast but it will not get you close to your daughter if you are on the out sides of the arena. Of course that statement depends on the arena size but going off the one I shoot in the 50mm would be nearly useless. Second you need to take advantage of the gear you have and realize it will have limitations which will show up rather quickly but that does not mean you can't get some nice shots.

"... lenses do not operate at their best when used at their lowest or widest apertures, ..." This is mostly true but here is where we trade off some of the limitation for the shot. You are probably going to need to use your lenses wide open, the smaller f-number.

Now here we go and do consult your manual if you do not know how the male these settings on your Rebel T6. Select Av mode and set the widest, most open, lowest aperture number, f4 for example. Now the T6 will automatically select the fastest SS (shutter speed) for correct exposure. Set ISO to 1600. Select One Shot never Ai-servo, never! Also select just the center focus point. This will be about as good as it gets and should get you close but keep in mind you may need to adjust ISO or aperture if need be.

Now the really important part of this goal is to d/l DPP4 from the Canon web site. Use large raw format in the T6 not jpg and once again, never! Use DPP4 to u/l to your computer with just a few simple clicks you can adjust exposure and many other enhancements that will make even average shots really pop.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for the info. I have been watching videos on how to change settings on the camera. We bought this used, so it did not come with a manual. I will set it on what you recommended and see how it goes. She has a meet next weekend. Thanks again

Damundo,

You can go online and download an owner's manual four T6 in pdf format. Personally, I prefer that because you can use the search function in Adobe Reader and search for specific topics.

Steve Thomas

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, avoid the full auto modes on the dial. They will not likely get you as good of results as Av mode will and your eye and brain.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

As others have noted, the lens and your placement options both work against you with the situation you describe.  With sports photography, you need a fast shutter speed to freeze action and a wide aperture lens (large and expensive) for a lot of shots.

HOWEVER, gymnastics is a sport where proper timing will enable you to catch some very nice poses where high shutter speed to freeze action won't be required.  So instead of using 1/800 or better to freeze motion, which would send the ISO into terrible noise land with your lens and poor indoor lighting, use a monopod with your lens to avoid camera shake blur and drop shutter speed down to provide a proper exposure at an ISO your camera can handle.

You really aren't going to be able to get good action shots with your current lens unless you are in a gym with excellent lighting so concentrate on the shots you can get during those points when your daughter is frozen or near-frozen during her event.

These examples are captures of "frozen players" in basketball and volleyball (free throw and preparing for a serve respectively).  If you concentrate on opportunities when your athlete is still, the requirements for lens and camera body are far less critical and you can capture some memorable images.

I could have dropped the shutter speed way down for these shots and used the EF 300 f2.8 lens image stabilization but I didn't bother because it is a fast lens and was used on my 1DX III which handles high ISO well.  Because of this, I can use the same exposure parameters I do for action shots but with equipment less robust against low light, you should be using exposure parameters optimized for capturing non-fast action and concentrating on getting those photos.  Otherwise instead of a few excellent photos of your daughter, you will end up with a lot of barely usable images.

Location and timing are the most important aspects of good sports photography followed closely by having a fast (wide aperture) lens and then a camera body capable of providing clean images when the ISO is forced high by lighting conditions.

And if you can get close enough, the Canon EF 85 f1.8 does a great job of capturing sports in low light conditions.  It is a moderately priced lens that is sharp wide open and focuses quickly.  It was a lens I used a lot for basketball in some horribly illuminated gyms.

Rodger

AS0I4431.jpgAS0I3941.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

You gave me some great info. Until I can get a lens that is capable of more action shots, I will do what you recommended and take pics of her when she’s not moving much. If they come out like your pics, my wife will be happy. Thanks

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements