cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 Tv pictures look dark on high shutter speeds

MaggieM
Contributor

Hello, I just got a Canon EOS rebel t6. It was a hand-me-down so I'm not quite sure how old it is. Anyway, I love it but the only thing is that my pictures turn out quite underexposed when I am in TV mode and I make the shutter speed fast. This isn't really ideal because I do bird photography and the higher speeds are really helpful. I also noticed that the f-stop stayed at 5.6 no matter what shutter speed it was at. Is that bad? The only other thing I could do was put the ISO on high. Can you please help me.

(I just switched from a PowerShot to a DSLR so I am pretty sure my problem might be ignorance)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Maggie,

Your aperture determines how much light is let into your camera. Your shutter speed determines how long your camera is exposed to that available light. With really fast shutter speeds, it's just the blink of an eye.

In lower light situations, that might not be long enough to give your camera time to properly or adequately expose your picture and they come out dark. In Tv mode, The camera tries to compensate for that by lowering, or widening your aperture.

Depending on the lens that you are using, an aperture of 5.6 is probably the lowest it can go as you zoom in.

Your best bet is to put your camera in Auto ISO and let your camera raise its sensitivity to light as much as it can.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lens?

It does sound like there might be a shutter issue.The aperture thing is weird. Can you change the aperture setting in manual mode? Does the DOF preview shut down the aperture?

I was able to change it in manual mode. I'm not sure what a DOF is, but I was able to fix it. I had just accidentally touched the ISO. Thank you for trying to help me (:

-maggie

DOF preview is the button on the front of the camera that will stop down the lens so you get, well, a Depth of Field Preview.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Maggie,

Your aperture determines how much light is let into your camera. Your shutter speed determines how long your camera is exposed to that available light. With really fast shutter speeds, it's just the blink of an eye.

In lower light situations, that might not be long enough to give your camera time to properly or adequately expose your picture and they come out dark. In Tv mode, The camera tries to compensate for that by lowering, or widening your aperture.

Depending on the lens that you are using, an aperture of 5.6 is probably the lowest it can go as you zoom in.

Your best bet is to put your camera in Auto ISO and let your camera raise its sensitivity to light as much as it can.

Steve Thomas

Thanks so much for your insight. I was able to get well exposed pictures outside when I put the aperture at 3.5 (in manual mode) and put the ISO on Auto. I think I had accidentally messed with it. Thank you again for your help.

-maggie

Announcements