cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 Lens and Flash Suggestions

Candyn1251
Contributor

I have the 75/300 lense and a df-400 power extra flash. I shoot racing photography. I wonder what other lenses or flashes would help create sharper photos? Thank you!

23 REPLIES 23

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I can't comment on the flash, but the Canon 75-300 lenses are all very poor optically.  There are alternatives that are much better, but we need some more information to give you the most appropriate solutions.

1. Camera or cameras are you currently using?
2. What is your budget?
3. What is your preferred focal range?
4. When you say racing photography, what kind of racing? Horse, yacht, motor, indoor or outside?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Canon eos rebel t6.

minimal.

preferred focal range? 5 to 50 ft depending on car.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Candyn1251 wrote:

I have the 75/300 lense and a df-400 power extra flash. I shoot racing photography. I wonder what other lenses or flashes would help create sharper photos? Thank you!

The EF 75-300mm lenses seem to be designed to teach you about photography more so than capturing stunning photos.  To be fair, though, you can capture pretty good still life images between 100mm and 200mm using a tripod using the center AF point to focus.

Using a flash is highly inadvisable for any type of sports photography.  What camera body are you shooting with?  What is the range of typical focal lengths that you use with the 75-300mm lens?

Help someone to help you.  Post a sample photo of your work so that people can get a better “picture” of what type of results you are getting.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

5697897E-9637-40F4-B9F1-19B68571CD8E.jpeg

I am using the rebel eos t6 and the range is 5 ft to 30 feet.  

Does your 75-300 give you a big enough field of view at that distance? For example, the image you provided does not show the whole car. 

If you look across the range of images you consider successful, what focal ranges are you shooting at?

Also, in part as a matter of curiosity, what is the reaction from drivers or the organizers to you using a flash so close to the racing?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The image provided was zoomed in to close. Ivan be 5 feet from the car or 50 feet from the car depending on where they ride on the track. I have had no complaints of the flash usage as they are used to it!

"I have had no complaints of the flash usage as they are used to it!"  Fair enough.  Part of the reason I was asking was if you wanted to be able to be free of depending upon the flash, but I'll let that one lie. 

Can you please advise what focal lengths you tend to shoot at, as opposed to the given 75-300 of the lens you are using.  There is a point to this. If you shoot only up to say, 200mm, then we can look at a different class of lens to find you the best solution.

cheers, TREVOR

The EF-S 55-250mm may be another good option for them. But we can't jump to conclusions before OP tells us what focal lengths that their using. Before giving them lenses that are too long.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I guess you missed my post where I said pretty much exactly that.  However, it seems that the OP wants up to 300mm, so the 70-300 series will give them a little more at the wide angle end as well as far better optics and stabilization.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements