cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3 seeing part black image and please see added images.

hj1924001
Apprentice

Please help I just need to know can it be fixed and not cost an arm and a leg.  Or is it better to buy new??  It was working fine just a few days ago, I have not droped it, or got water on it, or anything like that.  I keep it in its case I don't leave it in heat or cold.  It does not sound right when you take the image it is alomt like it is getting stuck.  Can the mirror thing on the inside wear out from lots of use??  I have had it about 2 1/2 years with LOTS of use.  It is like it is sticking then want take any image and then I have to flip it up like I am cleanning it and put it back in place.  It is not the lens I have switched them and I was in bright light when I took these, so its not a flash issues.  I have also tried changing the speed, and that did not work.  My Canon is like my baby please help.   

194.JPG237.JPG

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

cicopo
Elite

It looks like the mirror may not be flipping up fully but it could also be a shutter problem. I suggest setting the camera to a slow exposure setting in Tv mode (1 sec or so), remove the lens & look at the front of the camera to see what happens when you click the shutter button. The mirror should flip up fully & ther shutter should fully expose the sensor, and then it should all reverse back to normal. Slow it down until you know what's happening. You may find something out of place restricting the mirror but other than something minor it may need servicing / repairs that may be more expensive than worth while. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Sounds like your reflex mirror mechanism needs service.

The mirror and shutter are the only true "moving parts" subject to wear.  The camera maintains an internal shutter count (it's not displayed but there is software that can read it.)  This shutter count is a bit like the odometer on your car -- its a measure of wear.

Eventually the shutter mechanism WILL fail.  Most cameras are between 100,000 and 300,000 clicks with higher end camera being at the high side of that range and entry-level DSLRs at the low end.  I think *some* cameras had shutter life's of around 50,000 clicks.  Like cars... some people are fortunate enough to run the camera well beyond the expected shutter lifetime and they still work great.

You'll need to contact Canon service.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

hj1924001
Apprentice

Thanks so much I am sending it in to Canon to see if it is better to repair or trade it in for something better.

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

It looks like the mirror may not be flipping up fully but it could also be a shutter problem. I suggest setting the camera to a slow exposure setting in Tv mode (1 sec or so), remove the lens & look at the front of the camera to see what happens when you click the shutter button. The mirror should flip up fully & ther shutter should fully expose the sensor, and then it should all reverse back to normal. Slow it down until you know what's happening. You may find something out of place restricting the mirror but other than something minor it may need servicing / repairs that may be more expensive than worth while. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Sounds like your reflex mirror mechanism needs service.

The mirror and shutter are the only true "moving parts" subject to wear.  The camera maintains an internal shutter count (it's not displayed but there is software that can read it.)  This shutter count is a bit like the odometer on your car -- its a measure of wear.

Eventually the shutter mechanism WILL fail.  Most cameras are between 100,000 and 300,000 clicks with higher end camera being at the high side of that range and entry-level DSLRs at the low end.  I think *some* cameras had shutter life's of around 50,000 clicks.  Like cars... some people are fortunate enough to run the camera well beyond the expected shutter lifetime and they still work great.

You'll need to contact Canon service.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

hj1924001
Apprentice

Thanks so much I am sending it in to Canon to see if it is better to repair or trade it in for something better.

Announcements