cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to touch & drag AF

Stephan_D
Apprentice

Hey there. I'm new to the community. I recently puchased an EOS R and I love it.

I really like the flexible customizaiton options, but there's one feature which seems to be a no-brainer but I haven't been able to find it.

Is there a way to "click and drag" to set an AF point, instead of touch and drag? 

For example, if shooting with 1 point AF, you could place the current AF point on a desired subject, press on a button, and move the camera. The AF point would remain pointed to the subject. When you let go of the button, the repositioning of the AF point would be complete.

Is such a thing currently possible? 

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Stephan_D wrote:

Hey there. I'm new to the community. I recently puchased an EOS R and I love it.

I really like the flexible customizaiton options, but there's one feature which seems to be a no-brainer but I haven't been able to find it.

Is there a way to "click and drag" to set an AF point, instead of touch and drag? 

For example, if shooting with 1 point AF, you could place the current AF point on a desired subject, press on a button, and move the camera. The AF point would remain pointed to the subject. When you let go of the button, the repositioning of the AF point would be complete.

Is such a thing currently possible? 

No problem [if] you use the viewfinder.  Use AI Servo mode with all AF points enabled.  You want the default AF point to be the center AF point.  Focus on the subject, and now recompose your shot.  The AF tracking should stay locked on your subject. 

I use this technique all the time when I want to use Spot Metering on a subject.  I have to use the center AF point for Spot Metering.  Moving the AF point to the subject in Spot Metering Mode makes absolutely no sense.  Instead of focus and recompose, I meter and recompose. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hey there,

Thanks, but that didn't really work for me.

I used 1-point AF, with Servo on, and the initial square placed in the middle of the screen.

I focused, and the square turned blue. As soon as I started to recompose, the camera started to re-focus on the blue square, 

Am I missing something?

You mentioned "All points enabled", which I don't understand. I'm on 1-point AF. Did you mean to switch to zone or L&track?

You also mention using the viewfinder. I tried doing that, and there was no difference. 

Suggestions? Did I misunderstand?

Regarding your spot metering: yes, I used to do that on my previous camera - it's particularly convenient with back button focus enabled. You can "meter and recompose" independently from "focus and recompose". Of course you could use the exposure lock button (*), but I find it more convenient to expose on a desired point using the shutter button, and recompose, without impacting the focus. 

“I used 1-point AF, with Servo on, and the initial square placed in the middle of the screen.

I focused, and the square turned blue. As soon as I started to recompose, the camera started to re-focus on the blue square, 

Am I missing something?”

Missing something?  Lots.  For starters, you did not follow my suggestion to change your AF point selection to activate all AF points, or use AI Servo AF mode.  You need to understand how it works in the viewfinder before you can make it work on the touch screen.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements