cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3 Shutter Speed Not Working Even On Auto

elrond140
Apprentice

Hello Canon Community!

I wasn't really sure how to title this problem, but I'm absolutely stumped. So, recently my EOS Rebel T3 has been really acting up. No matter what mode I am on (Creative Auto, No Flash, etc...), except for manual mode, the camera will take either all black or all white photos. This is due to the camera only taking photos on either 1/4000 or 30" shutter speed (even on auto mode!) I don't know why it is only choosing these extremes for shooting, no matter what light I am shooting in. Any thoughts??

Elrond140 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Very first thing is to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  Clear all settings, remove the battery overnight.

Second you need to make sure the battery and the charger are working properly.  This is basic but needs to be done.

And last get a NEW high quality SD card that is fromatted by the camera, nothing else.

Try again, with the camera on the green square and go outside with good daylight.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mykolas
Authority

Hi elrond140!

Welcome to the Canon Forum.

In the Auto mode, the camera chooses the appropriate exposure and there should not be any settings you have changed that would cause the exposure to be to these extremes.  Perhaps something external is causing the camera to choose those exposure settings.  

How would you describe the subject you are photographing and the lighting conditions?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Very first thing is to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  Clear all settings, remove the battery overnight.

Second you need to make sure the battery and the charger are working properly.  This is basic but needs to be done.

And last get a NEW high quality SD card that is fromatted by the camera, nothing else.

Try again, with the camera on the green square and go outside with good daylight.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Resetting the camera to factory defaults seems to fix the problem temporarily. We'll see how this plays out. Otherwise, I have to agree with TCampbell that the light meter is defective. Thanks for the help everyone!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If it were always shooting at a 30 second exposure then I'd say that something is blocking the light meter.  It would be like trying to meter with the lens cap still on the camera -- it would always insist on the longest possible exposure time.

But confusingly, you said that it'll also want to take shots at 1/4000 -- the shortest possible exposure.  

This suggests to me that the light meter is defective... that it either believes you have maximum light... or no light at all... and there is no "in between".

With that in mind, I don't think you can resolve this yourself.  I suspect you're going to need to send the camera in for service.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements