cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3 SD Card Not Readable on Mac

Styner
Enthusiast

I currently have a canon Rebel t3 with a new SD 256gb. When I went to put the chip in to my MacBook using an adapter ( to look at my photos) it’s unable to read the chip & now I can’t access my photos. Also when I put the chip back into the camera it says “card can’t be accessed” 

what should I do ?

37 REPLIES 37

I googled “full size SD card” and this came up 

IMG_0957.png

In your previous response the SD Card is more than adequate for your camera and is Full Size. The 2nd one you posted will work but it will be slow. Since its not rated for Class 10 speeds it will take longer for your camera to write to the card. Also DO NOT buy SD Cards from Amazon there have been cases of counterfeit SD Cards. Use reputable places such as B&H Photo & Adorama. I would also buy more than 1 SD card for extra space when the card becomes full. Stick with well known manufacturers of SD Cards such as Lexar, SanDisk & Prograde Digital. 

IMG_0956.png

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Ok, so the first picture was from the Walmart website. I’ll go with this one 

IMG_0958.png

Watchout buying from Walmart they often use 3rd Party vendors. Make sure your getting the real deal SD Card from them. There have been reports in the past of counterfeit SD Cards. Hence why I recommended using reputable stores.

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

image.jpg

 from B&H photo

That card will work fine with your camera you also won't get anymore error messages. When you do receive the cards make sure you format them in camera. Also do a low level format since there new cards.

-Demetrius

Hey there! This is a VERY old page, but the info is still useful. Take into consideration today's cards are faster and cheaper. 
https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/I-am-trying-to-take-video-with-my-Can...

We always recommend buying directly from a reputable source, meaning sold and shipped from amazon.com or walmart.com, not a third-party reseller like the Walmart or Amazon marketplace. It's very easy to counterfeit memory cards, and the reseller may not even know they have "bootleg" cards. You also want to get a good name brand like San Disk, PNY, Samsung, etc. I have all 3 of those brands personally - they all work. While we can't guarantee the use of a micro-SD, I use them on some of mine and haven't had problems, BUT to avoid any issues, I do recommend using full-sized cards when you can't afford to lose your images. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@styner,

Lets reel this in.  You have 4 threads going on various topics.  New Camera, new lens, data loss, will this lens fit this camera. Etc.

It becomes increasing difficult to make meaningful recommendations, provide support and track progress as the responses begin to overlap one another. 

I think we have your data issue solved.  You indicated you were using a micro SD card in an adapter.  These don't work.  For a camera with a UHS-I card slot (like your T3), I use the full size SanDisk Extreme Pro Class 10.  Since the body is only 12MP, a 32GB or 64GB would work well.  Get 2 or 3, they are inexpensive.

Lens for wildlife.  I don't recommend that older EF 400mm lens.  First its on the shorter end for wildlife.  Its doesn't have IS, and its fixed focal length will be a lot to manage.  You'll need a tripod and will be running around trying to get shots, setting up before your subjects fly away.  This will be frustrating for you.  I suggested a 150-600mm (Sigma or Tamron).

New body.  Your T3 is getting dated age wise and is only 12MP, but its what you have, so lets make it work.  Consider putting that $1000 budget towards a new lens.  Like what I mentioned above.  You will be able to take that with you when funds allow you to buy a new body.  The 150-600mm is one of the most recommended focal lengths for wildlife, and is a great match for your T3 due to its versatility.    

We also covered what EF is, and lens mount designation, etc.  Others have provided their expertise and made great suggestions too.

We are definitely here to help and are happy to answer questions.  In order of importance, what are your goals?  

New body, new lens?  Both.  Budget is $1k?

Whats next?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements