cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-RP Transferring pictures to computer

kelidc
Apprentice

Hello, I have the EOS RP Mirrorless camera, for the past several years I have used the EOS 60D. When I take pictures with the RP and try to transfer the pics from the SD card to my computer they are not showing up. It's like they aren't even on the card. When I put the card back in the camera then they show up. Now, I can take that same card, put it in my old camera, and snap a few pics, then insert the card back into my computer those pictures that were taken with the old camera show up on the computer to download. Keep in mind I am no professional, just a grandma wanting pics of her grandkids. But is there a setting I have missed? I have gone through the manual and I've either overlooked it or it's not there. Please help! 

12 REPLIES 12

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

That the pictures show up in the camera means that they are actually on the card.  So presumably your computer can't recognise them.

The simplest reason I can think of is that they are in raw format (like with a file suffix like ".CR3").  Your computer would need software to handle this format, like Adobe Lightroom.

So, is your camera configured to capture RAW files?  Try setting it to take JPEG instead of (or as well as) RAW.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should definitely be able to see the files, even if your computer is not able to open them.  

It is inadvisable to move a memory card back and forth between one camera and another, especially when they are different camera models.  You will lose files and photos one day.  This could be the issue that you are experiencing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You're right that the files "should" be visible, but they might be light gray and not obvious if the computer doesnt have an action for them, and hence easily missed.

Actually, moving cards between cameras generally won't delete photos.  It might mess up the database that the cameras use to track things, but the photo files themselves should still be there.

wchettel
Enthusiast

If the photos are RAW format and you're using Windows, there is an extension available from Microsoft that lets you view the Raw images. The Raw Image Extension adds native viewing support for images captured in raw file formats produced by many mid - to high-end digital cameras. it's free and you can find it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

Thanks for that link! Works fine with my CR2 files in Win10.

👍

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I had to download information to read RAW photos after downloading the card to my laptop. It was through the help of the members here that I was able to do it.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

John_SD
Whiz

"I have the EOS RP Mirrorless camera, for the past several years I have used the EOS 60D. When I take pictures with the RP and try to transfer the pics from the SD card to my computer they are not showing up. It's like they aren't even on the card."

After you insert your card into the slot on your Windows PC, launch File Explorer. Navigate down to D or E: or whatever the SD card is assigned to and click on the SD card. See if there is a list of file names of the photos, click on them, and see what you see. I am assuming you are shooting JPEGs, but this is just a guess. As others have noted, you will need other software such as Lightroom to view RAW (.CR3) files. Good luck. 

Lotus7
Rising Star

As others have stated, your computer may not recognize a file format which requires an application you don't have installed.  You might try checking the file format your RP is using to store images. Your files should be in the "100EOS_R" folder which is down one level in the DCIM Folder at the memory card's root directory.  If your RP is set for CR3 (RAW) you can change it to store JEPGs instead.  In the "Image Quality" Menu Option, select Fine-L, then use the control dial to set RAW to " -- ".  The JPEG menu should show the first L selection (FINE L)  NOT "--".

Take a few test shots to see if your computer now recognizes the new images.  If so, you should install Canon "Digital Photo Professional" to be able to open, view and process the CR3 (RAW) files you already have.  Unfortunately, you cannot convert CR3 files to JPGs and store the JPGs IN the camera, but you can in DPP4.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Are you trying to download the images directly from your camera to your computer via a USB cable? If so, you might try transferring with a card reader insead.

Are you using a full size SD card or a micro SD card with an adapter? The micro SD cards are known to act "stupid" under certain conditions.

Announcements