cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP Issue - Turns ON by itself.

vp-eosrp
Contributor

When the power dial is set to "off" the camera powers "on" by itself and flickers "on" and "off" until the battery dies. I tried updating the firmware and removing all accessories, however the issue still persists. 

04/20/2021 UPDATE (for Canon techs): 

- The issue is present with / without the accessories (i.e. lens) attached.

- Tried removing the battery for a few days, and putting it back in. Issue still persists.

- If you insert the battery back in (with the SD card), it starts flickering again. Likewise, if you press the shutter button, it turns ON even though the dial is OFF. 

- I've tried hard resetting to factory defaults. Didn't solve the problem.

- Updated firmware, still not solved. 

* Will be sending it in for repair. Thank you to everyone who responded. 

Video #1:

Video #2:

45 REPLIES 45

What accessories did you remove?  Were they Canon accessories?

Some third party accessories caused these symptoms and actually damaged many cameras.  This thread pre-dates Canon banning third party accessories. 

The OP’s issue could have been related to cleaning the sensor. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Never used any 3rd party accessories. The only things that were on the RP body are the RF 24-105 f/4 , the genuine Canon LP-E17 battery , and SanDisk 128GB Extreme SD. I suspected the lens and SD, but removing them the camera body still won't turn off or turn itself back on.  I live in Southern California and it's not always humid. Other Canon cameras I owned lasted 10+ years under similar environment. 

I suspect some of the switches are faulty and keeps sending signals for the camera back to on . 

Hi Rick, I feel this problem for us have been ignored, and I'm glad that it got resurrected. I still have my RP with 1.6.0 (released in 2020) with this problem. I know you're asking questions to see if there is more info available, but I'm curious, are you able to help get this looked at by Canon?

Welcome to the Canon Community. 

This forum is social media. It is not Canon Service, Canon Support, nor Canon Sales. 

If you wish to further discuss your issue with the community, then I encourage you to start a new thread.  

Most of the issues cited in years past could have been related to the use of currently banned third party accessories. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If you feel your camera isn't working as it should, please contact support at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) so they can troubleshoot with you. 

Alternatively, you can send it directly to repair via your My Canon Account at https://canon.us/account 

wanttolove
Apprentice

This is a broad issues of EOS RP and I think Canon should annouce a free repair program for it. For who has this issues, Just bring to Canon service center and ask them to take out the Power switch, clean the contact and reinstall it, problem will be resolved ! Just ask them to do it and don't listen to anything from them about motherboard or part replacement ^^

click here to view the gallery
Announcements