cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP Issue - Turns ON by itself.

vp-eosrp
Contributor

When the power dial is set to "off" the camera powers "on" by itself and flickers "on" and "off" until the battery dies. I tried updating the firmware and removing all accessories, however the issue still persists. 

04/20/2021 UPDATE (for Canon techs): 

- The issue is present with / without the accessories (i.e. lens) attached.

- Tried removing the battery for a few days, and putting it back in. Issue still persists.

- If you insert the battery back in (with the SD card), it starts flickering again. Likewise, if you press the shutter button, it turns ON even though the dial is OFF. 

- I've tried hard resetting to factory defaults. Didn't solve the problem.

- Updated firmware, still not solved. 

* Will be sending it in for repair. Thank you to everyone who responded. 

Video #1:

Video #2:

36 REPLIES 36

misterphotog
Apprentice

Again, mine has fixed itself by doing nothing at all except sitting on a shelf untouched for the last 6-7 months. And I had NOT disabled any wifi settings. Crazy! 

Maybe Canon hacked in (since I hadn't disabled wifi settings) and did a firmware fix for this thing...😂

ivionkey
Apprentice

Unfortunately, I've been hit with this issue on my RP too. All of the following hasn't helped: Disabling wifi, running the latest firmware, doing a factory reset, getting new genuine canon battery. I will get a quote from Canon for a repair.

wanttolove
Apprentice

I have Exactly the same problem

e0srp
Apprentice

Hi. My camera has same issue. I'm pretty disappointed in Canon on this one. There is a solution that costs nothing. That is, do not shut down, let the camera automatically sleep. Probably the most radical solution is to switch to another brand of camera.

hoffmeister
Apprentice

Yes, and me too. Canon EOS RP, purchased in UK. Not had a chance to explore behaviour fully, but will try some of the suggestions on this page.

gsons
Apprentice

Hi,

Just adding to the topic that I have the same problem and no WiFi, Bluetooth. Obviously something wrong when the screen flickers. Any luck with repair?

Announcements