cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 won't retain settings in manual mode

azerrate
Apprentice

When I change the settings in manual mode, the camera does not retain them, even without turning off the camera, even when remains in standby state. When I go to take a new photo I find the speed at 1/2000, the aperture at 2.0 (with a 1.8 lens), auto ISO, AF at around, the metering mode at evaluative and the image size in JPG insted RAW. I have tried resetting the camera with the memory and without the memory in, and it hasn't worked. The problem also occurs with C1 and C2 shooting modes. Has anyone had a similar situation or know how to solve it?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Tell us what camera you are using.

What you are experiencing in the custom shooting modes is probably normal behavior.  Custom shooting modes are user defined, camera configurations.  A custom shooting mode is not a mechanism to store you current camera settings.  By default, automatic updates are disabled.

For example, I define C1 for M shooting mode with ISO Auto, One Shot AF, single shot shooting mode, BBF, with only the center AF point active.  I’ve also defined C2 for Manual shooting mode.  But I use Servo AF, continuous shooting mode, BBF is set to [AF-OFF], with the center af point active with 8 assist points surrounding it.

I set the exposure settings for both modes with an f/1.4 lens installed.  I defined exposure at 1/1600, f/1.4, ISO Auto with the [SET] button configured for Exposure Compensation.  Defining the aperture to a wide setting causes the camera to use the widest setting of any lens that I mount onthe camera.  An f/2.8 zoom will use f/2.8.  An f/4 zoom will use f/4.

I leave the auto update setting disabled because I want to retrain the camera settings, and guard myself against accidentally changing something between shots.  As soon as the metering timer expires, any changes I made to exposure or other camera settings are lost.  The camera reverts back to its preset configuration.

If you wish to retain changes to your exposure settings and camera configuration between shots then do not use a custom shooting mode.  Use whatever creative shooting mode you wish.  Be cognizant of how you hold the camera and wandering fingers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for answering!. I have been using an EOS R8 for 4 months, but the problem appeared recently. I previously used an EOS 77D and it never presented anything like this. The specific problem is that most of the time I use the camera in manual mode, when I turn it on I expect to find certain parameters as I have defined them in the menu folders (image quality in RAW, exposure compensation at 0, spot AF area, spot metering mode, automatic image effect and drive mode in single shot) in addition to the basic parameters such as ISO at 100, speed at 1/125 and the aperture at its maximum aperture. It is striking that when turning on the camera, or between shots after being in standby state for a few seconds, I find that the parameters are at speed 1/4000, aperture at 2.0 (lens up to 1.8), automatic ISO, AF area around , evaluative metering mode, JPG image quality, faithful image effect. The advance mode is not modified from single shot. I can manipulate the basic parameters (speed, aperture, ISO) easily, but not the others, it takes time to have to change them and it is not the normal way any camera works. The information on the screen is also modified. It changes from a mode where I only see the parameters to one where I see the image, the parameters, the histogram and the leveling assistant. It even changes the language too. You mentioned changing auto update settings between on and off. I can't find that option, where in the menu can I find it? It's not my habit to use custom shooting modes. I mentioned it because it has been one of the alternatives that I have used to try to solve the situation, but to clarify, if I record certain parameters in C1 or C2 modes, when I turn off the camera, are those parameters lost? Thank you very much for your attention!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements