cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 recording 8K & 4K video with RF-S lens

ricalls
Contributor

i read in the manual for the EOS R5 camera page 314 that "recording of 8K and 4K movies is not supported with RF-S or EF-S lenses. I am unfamiliar with S lenses and all lenses. I am about to rent the R5 body with CH- Canon RF 24-105mm 2.8 L IS USM Z lens. Will i be able to shoot video with this lens?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

As long as the lens does not say "RF-S" on it, you are good.

'-S' lenses refer to lenses designed for cameras with APS-C sized sensors - like the R7 and R8. Since the sensors are smaller, the lenses are designed with a smaller "sweet spot". While a '-S' lens will fit on a camera with a Full-Frame lens - like the R5 you are interested in - the camera will limit the image or video to the sweet spot of the lens, i.e., it will not utilize the whole lens area. I am guessing that 8K and 4K movies use an area of the lens larger than the size of the APS-C sensor, so the camera will not let you use one of these lenses for this kind of video.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

As long as the lens does not say "RF-S" on it, you are good.

'-S' lenses refer to lenses designed for cameras with APS-C sized sensors - like the R7 and R8. Since the sensors are smaller, the lenses are designed with a smaller "sweet spot". While a '-S' lens will fit on a camera with a Full-Frame lens - like the R5 you are interested in - the camera will limit the image or video to the sweet spot of the lens, i.e., it will not utilize the whole lens area. I am guessing that 8K and 4K movies use an area of the lens larger than the size of the APS-C sensor, so the camera will not let you use one of these lenses for this kind of video.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements