cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 has trouble automatically connecting to Eos Utility

rvw869
Apprentice

Hi all.  I recently purchased an EOS R8 to upgrade my 70D.  Most of what I use the camera for is to shoot stationary objects on a vertical copy stand, so most of the time the camera is mounted.   With my 70D I could just leave the camera on the stand, turn the power on and off and it it would automatically connect to Wi-Fi and Eos Utility.  For what ever reason the R8 won't do that and have to connect the camera every time, which is a major inconvenience with the camera mounted.   Is there a setting somewhere I am missing?  Camera Bios is 1.30.  Eos Utility V 3.18.5.13.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome

It will be important to know what kind of computer and version of its operating system you are using so we can offer more specific assistance.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Windows 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Did you use the 70D with your Windows 11 computer?  Here’s a link that explains how to connect a 70D   

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART141700 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

rvw869
Apprentice

The 70D worked fine, but it does not work with the current utility program.  So I had to use v. 2.XX.

The solution to my current issue, according to Canon, is that there is no solution other than to hope they change it in the future.  It is meant to be that way...which in my mind is backwards, but what do I know, I am just a consumer.  Alas, I feel my money was wasted on the upgrade to the R8 and I will go back to the 70D and antiquated software for my purposes. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does the R8 work when you use a USB cable?  Verify the communication settings. USB or Wi-Fi? 

“  For what ever reason the R8 won't do that and have to connect the camera every time,”

Can you elaborate a little on how you’re connected?  Where is the Wi-Fi hotspot?  For the 70D?  For the R8?

I use a local WAN that the camera PC share.   It also works with my iPad.  I connect to a 6D2 and the R6m2.   Both automatically connect to my wireless network. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements