EOS R8 Can't access AF area: Around

Eaglesnest
Enthusiast

I can't get to Expand AF area: Around.

The cursor jumps from Expand AF area to Flexible Zone AF 1

What's the solution?

23 REPLIES 23

I really, really want to help you, but this is like getting blood out of a stone. What about all the other focus settings?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The other focus settings are good.

OK, knowing that you have the R8 helps a lot.  This is the first camera that I have seen the term Around as a description for a focus area.  So, we can now proceed further.  Let me read the relevant material from the guide and get back to you.  In the meantime, it would be really helpful to have an idea of the objects you are shooting.  Static, moving, eye tracking on or off.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Subject: Static

The term Around is where it says in the manual.

I found another reference to this autofocus method with a more detailed explanation of how it works:

Tronhard_1-1703648201809.png
This was why I was asking what other autofocus features were set.

cheers, TREVOR

Have you checked the User Guide in the AF Range section?

Tronhard_0-1703647668772.png

I note that if you have Servo focus turned on, first it will use a Point AF...  Is that the experience to which you are referring?

cheers, TREVOR

I use  "One Shot" mode.

The cursor jumps from Expand AF area (3rd from the left) to Flexible Zone AF1 (%th from the left)

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I think I understand what your are trying to ask...
Are you saying that when you go to select Expand AF Area, within that menu, it goes to Flexible Zone AF1.  That is not so much that it does it when you are shooting, as when you are trying to set up the focus options in the menu?

cheers, TREVOR

My question is: why it by passed the Around option?  and how can I get it back?

OK, I think I now understand your issue.  If it's simply that the option for Around is not available then I suggest going to the Purple Focus menu, Tab 4, 2nd from the top is Limit AF Areas.  Check to see if the Around option and any other options are not ticked. If it is not, then that is your issue.  If you want to remove options that you are sure you will not use, then this is the place to do it.
When you first posed the question, I understood it as switching from Around to the other Area buttons when you were actually trying to actively focus on a subject.
Does this seem to be the issue for you?

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements