cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 won't focus

Kayeb
Apprentice

I recently purchased the Canon EOS R7 and EL10 flash.  I took it on vacation and was in some caverns and it would not focus.  I also had the camera on Program. Why would it not focus?  Did I not have it set right?  It focused fine outside the caverns.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In some shooting modes, the shutter will not release if focus cannot be achieved.  Shooting inside a dark cave is an example of this.  In this case, manual focus with flash might have helped.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Since you were shooting with a speedlite. The speedlite should've switched to Intermittent Flash Firing. Or the camera body would fire an LED AF Assist Beam. As long as the AF Assist Beam is set to Enable on the camera and NOT LED ONLY. Then on the speedlite set to Enable on the speedlite. Then the AF mode set to One Shot. AF Assist Beam projection method is dependent on the Ambient lighting. On wether the camera body or speedlites fired an AF Assist Beam. As a test put the lens cap and ensure that the focus mode is set to One Shot. Then the AF Assist Beam is enabled on the speedlite. Then ensure that it's set to enable on the camera body NOT LED AF Assist Beam ONLY. This will force the camera body to use the Speedlite for AF Assist. The Speedlite will pulse rapidly to aid the camera's AF system.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In some shooting modes, the shutter will not release if focus cannot be achieved.  Shooting inside a dark cave is an example of this.  In this case, manual focus with flash might have helped.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you.

Since you were shooting with a speedlite. The speedlite should've switched to Intermittent Flash Firing. Or the camera body would fire an LED AF Assist Beam. As long as the AF Assist Beam is set to Enable on the camera and NOT LED ONLY. Then on the speedlite set to Enable on the speedlite. Then the AF mode set to One Shot. AF Assist Beam projection method is dependent on the Ambient lighting. On wether the camera body or speedlites fired an AF Assist Beam. As a test put the lens cap and ensure that the focus mode is set to One Shot. Then the AF Assist Beam is enabled on the speedlite. Then ensure that it's set to enable on the camera body NOT LED AF Assist Beam ONLY. This will force the camera body to use the Speedlite for AF Assist. The Speedlite will pulse rapidly to aid the camera's AF system.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you so much.  I am trying to learn the EOS R7.  Also, I try to stay away from using the flash whenever I can as I don't understand how to use flash. Your response helped me a lot.

Announcements