cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 shows incompatibility warning with Speedbooster Mount Adapter

DizzyG
Apprentice

Any idea how to contact Canon about modifying firmware? I have an R7 with the Speedbooster Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 0.71x. It works great, but every time I turn on the camera I get an incompatibility warning that I have to acknowledge. 
It is nice to have a 70-200 F2.0 lens with the speedbooster!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The fact it works is pretty lucky.  It was designed for Canon cinema series and not for the R7 even though it shares an APS-C size sensor.  I do not expect it will be supported based on what Stephen states.  It's intended for a different product line.

Feature requests can be made by selecting [+]Feedback then Product.  There's nothing that can be done to remove the incompatible error message.  It would have to be added to the cameras firmware by Canon.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I doubt that Canon will make changes to  work with third party lenses.

But feel free to send feedback. There is a little teeny button on the Canon USA webpage:

Feedback.jpg

This is a lens adapter made by Canon, for RF mount video cameras. I will look into the Feedback button. Thanks

Hi. 

This mount adapter was specifically designed for cinema cameras. 

• Adapts full-frame, EF-mount lenses to the C70’s RF-mount while maintaining a full-frame lens angle of view.

What you're trying to do is outside the scope of what it was designed to do, which is why it's warning you of its incompatibility. It is not intended to be a "speedboster," but a tool designed to give Cinema cameras (that have a different size sensor) the ability to utilize EF lenses and have a "full frame" angle of view. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi DizzyG,

I am familiar with the Speed booster 0.71x adapter.  It was initially intended for the C70.  Support for it was recently added to my R5 C.  (for super 35).  I don't know if its intended for the R7.  Are you running FW v1.5.0?  It depends on actual compatibility.  I don't want to get your hopes up because I don't believe its supported on the R7.  Also, do as kvbarkley suggests > Feedback.

**Edit - It does not appear to be supported.  Contact Canon Support (for official confirmation).  Also submit a feature request.  Cool idea if they could add it.  

My Canon

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick! Any idea where to request features? Subtracting one full stop is great, especially since the R7 high iso isn’t as good as the R6 Mkii. 
It works great, just annoying to have the warning. It even reports correct F-stop

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The fact it works is pretty lucky.  It was designed for Canon cinema series and not for the R7 even though it shares an APS-C size sensor.  I do not expect it will be supported based on what Stephen states.  It's intended for a different product line.

Feature requests can be made by selecting [+]Feedback then Product.  There's nothing that can be done to remove the incompatible error message.  It would have to be added to the cameras firmware by Canon.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements