cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 not focusing or taking pictures

Eyekneemuhni617
Apprentice

Im new to this and I too have just recently ran into this issue but it only happens in Av mode I'm trying to capture things with the blurred background I did change something but not sure what, I know the camera is not broke as it captures photos without the "busy" and pausing in auto mode! So I know the camera isn't broke or my lense isn't broke. I was going to factory reset it but I know some settings I changed for manual that I like and had to watch a tutorial on that l I'd rather not go through it again but will if I have to. But hopefully someone has an answer for me here before I have to do that. I'm shooting with R7 with a 18 to155mm lense.

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Do all apertures fail when in Av mode?  Try setting the lens to the widest aperture and see if you can take a photo.  Perhaps the lens isn't allowing for closed-down apertures.

Otherwise, would be best to perform a reset if you're not sure what settings you may have changed.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

All Canon EOS cameras focus wide open. Doesn't matter if it's an SLR, DSLR or mirrorless camera. I would reset the camera to factory default. Then reset all of the Custom Functions back to factory default.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

My suggestion is to rule out an issue with the lens.  If the lens is only working in its widest aperture, that could explain why it would work in auto and not Av (where in Av, a narrower aperture is selected).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

The lens would also fail in manual mode too. The aperture is manually selected in that mode too. We also need to ask the OP what lens they're using. The camera should throw an error code too.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Will the camera act up in manual mode. Are you using the Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens there isn't an RF-S Mount version of that lens. Please give us the full name of that lens. Do you have any other lens to test out on this camera wether that a native RF Mount lens or an adapted EF or EF-S Mount lens. Will the lens work on a Canon APS-C DSLR camera ie Canon Rebel T8i/ EOS 850D or EOS 90D.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

BrianDavies
Enthusiast

If you choose Av mode and start pointing the camera in different directions, is the shutter speed changing? You have provided such little information that it is almost impossible to help you. You said you watched a tutorial, well you could at least tell us what the tutorial was for, then we might be able to guess what you adjusted. You didn't turn on focus bracketing did you? You mentioned you get a busy warning but what do you mean by pausing? Is the camera locking up? Have you put the camera in electronic shutter mode (camera will be silent) and is the camera taking bursts of shots without you realising it? If you shoot a burst, the camera will flash 'busy' and the camera will not be usable until the buffer is cleared. After you turn the camera off and back on, have you pressed 'play' to see if you captured anything? You might find you captured a ton of images.

Announcements