cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 astrophotography setup

chief
Rising Star

Need help on correct setup and settings using R7 body for astro. Have read manual and just can not get it to work. Last night had my 14 mm rokinon attached with adapter and had all correct settings 20 sconds, f/2.8, ISO 6400. Camera would not take image. What is set up on camera? electronic shutter, 2 second shutter, etc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

You need to go into the camera and set "shoot without lens". Then the camera will take pictures. This only works in the creative zone ie (M, Av, TV, P & Fv) modes. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

You need to go into the camera and set "shoot without lens". Then the camera will take pictures. This only works in the creative zone ie (M, Av, TV, P & Fv) modes. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

chief
Rising Star

what is the purpose of shoot with out lens? How does this make astrophotography work?

Your lens may not have electronic contacts to tell the camera body. That there is a lens attached. This is to protect the image sensor in the camera. 

-Demetrius

It’s not just for astrophotography. The lens could be used as a general ultra-wide angle lens. The Rokinon lens is a full manual lens; no communication with camera. Camera doesn’t know hat a lens is attached.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Gents,

Demetrius is correct.  The option is on the Custom Function Menu > Tab 4.  Its called "Release Shutter w/o Lens".  This should allow the camera to release the shutter with a manual lens.  @Chief, I own this lens also, please post your pics in the share my photos section.  📸

shadowsports_0-1682777746829.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That is a nice picture you can really see the blues and the greens in that picture. You should post that picture in the "Share Your Pictures" section of the forum.

-Demetrius

chief
Rising Star

2 nights ago at Pinnacles National Park with a 6d Mll and 14 mm Rokinon. will try some from my back yard tonight with the R7.

Great image Chief. See your Personal Messages.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements