cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7/ RF 100-500mm image stabilizers causing "double vision"

ASharma
Contributor

I have had a bad experience recently with my R7 and RF 100-500mm, which I use mostly for birding. After 18 months, of flawless performance, about 2 months ago, they developed what I call "double vision" with general blurriness. But when pixel peeking, I can clearly see duplication of feather edges, fence posts, and reflected eye beams. When returned to Canon Canada, their computer diagnostics identified a failed image stabilizer chip, which required replacement of the R7 motherboard, a significant repair. Unfortunately, when my gear was returned, the problem was still present despite the new motherboard. This time, I found a fine printed grid to test the lens. It clearly shows splitting of horizontal but not vertical grid lines, with this pattern reversed when switching from landscape to portrait mode. This would suggest a problem with the "pitch-and-yaw" image stabilizers in the lens, or perhaps lens elements that are out of alignment. It may also be a miscommunication between the IS chip in the R7 and the lens optical IS, but I am able to duplicate the splitting with my lens on a friend's R10, which has no IS. Everything is being sent off to Canon Canada for reassessment today, but I find it hard to believe that I had a simultaneous problem in both the R7 motherboard AND the lens optical IS. Has anyone had similar issues?

16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You can use OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or Box drive.  Share it and post the link for us 🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ASharma
Contributor

Thanks. That's easier. Here's the Google Drive link. You have to zoom in to see the splitting.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SMFNqJfGlXh-h21h90ljt02bGtVE2kXN?usp=sharing

ASharma
Contributor

If it's easier, I have also posted these 3 examples in the following DropBox folder. 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/xdsd7bdjo0m87bes7kb3p/AO6pnclE4hLtgI8WEb6Tj24?rlkey=ivonpbzaymko61y4w...

You can also post a detail, say 1/4 of the image here that shows the problem.

As you suggested, here's a photo of the grid, zoomed in. The horizontal lines are split. They should look like the corresponding vertical lines. The crop loses the EXIF, but this photo was shot in landscape mode at 1/800s, 500 mm, IS on, shot on a tripod. In portrait mode, the splitting occurs in the vertical lines. 

grid2.jpg

ctitanic
Rising Star

Please post back when you receive back the Camera+lens.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

Thanks. Will do. They were just received by Canon Canada this morning. Given the promised turn-around through CES membership, it will likely be the first week of October. 

Announcements