cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7/ RF 100-500mm image stabilizers causing "double vision"

ASharma
Contributor

I have had a bad experience recently with my R7 and RF 100-500mm, which I use mostly for birding. After 18 months, of flawless performance, about 2 months ago, they developed what I call "double vision" with general blurriness. But when pixel peeking, I can clearly see duplication of feather edges, fence posts, and reflected eye beams. When returned to Canon Canada, their computer diagnostics identified a failed image stabilizer chip, which required replacement of the R7 motherboard, a significant repair. Unfortunately, when my gear was returned, the problem was still present despite the new motherboard. This time, I found a fine printed grid to test the lens. It clearly shows splitting of horizontal but not vertical grid lines, with this pattern reversed when switching from landscape to portrait mode. This would suggest a problem with the "pitch-and-yaw" image stabilizers in the lens, or perhaps lens elements that are out of alignment. It may also be a miscommunication between the IS chip in the R7 and the lens optical IS, but I am able to duplicate the splitting with my lens on a friend's R10, which has no IS. Everything is being sent off to Canon Canada for reassessment today, but I find it hard to believe that I had a simultaneous problem in both the R7 motherboard AND the lens optical IS. Has anyone had similar issues?

16 REPLIES 16

ctitanic
Rising Star

Do you have another lens to test the camera? If you do not get the issue with a different lens most likely the issue was in the lens. Also, have you tried to turn the image stabilization on the lens? (May be too late because you already sent everything to Canon:( ).

I never have heard of anyone reporting this problem before.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

ASharma
Contributor

Thanks for the good suggestions. Unfortunately, the splitting only becomes visible at long focal lengths e.g. 400-500 mm, at least given the distances I can test in my yard. You don't see it in shorter focal lengths. Unfortunately, with the R7, the image stabilization switch on the lens barrel controls both the body and lens stabilizers i.e. there is no way to turn them off separately. When I turn them both off, the splitting persists, but only in the "up-down" axis. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Can you submit a sample image with exif data please.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ASharma
Contributor

Happy to. Please note that there is a 5 Mb file size limit, which reduces the resolution somewhat. But you should be able to see the duplication in the reflected eye beam from the hawk's eye, along the top of his head, and along the top of the post (since horizontal lines are more effected than vertical lines). This photo was taken with the stabilization switch on the lens barrel set to "off". 

1K4A0666r.jpeg

I can't see anything here. Do you have a flickr account? You can post your picture there and post here the link.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.

ASharma
Contributor

Sorry, I don't have a Flickr account. Does Flickr preserve the full resolution i.e. a 15 Mb JPEG?  I think my usual sites downgrade the resolution automatically e.g. iCloud and Instagram. 

ctitanic
Rising Star

Flickr does not have any limitation on resolution or file size, it also preserve the EXIF of the file.

Frank

ASharma
Contributor

I am going to try uploading another JPEG, of a high-resolution X-Y grid. Even with reduction to 5Mb, I can see splitting of the horizontal grid lines (when I zoom in). If this doesn't work, thanks for trying. 

1K4A3759_1_800_ISon_landscape_r.JPG

ctitanic
Rising Star

I see a ghost line in the vertical lines (top to bottom). I do not see the ghost effect in the horizontal lines.

Frank
Announcements