cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Photos have green cast on Flickr and Instagram, OK elsewhere

Kerenw
Apprentice

Hi All, hoping for some help. I have a Canon r7 and edit pictures in Adobe CC on a Windows computer running Windows 11. Since January this year, we edit pictures and they look good. Uploading to Facebook and they are still good colours but, Flickr and Instagram give them a green cast. I download from Flickr to post on Instagram and they look good on my phone, uploading they go green again. Any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8

Finelld
Contributor

Often images will include a color profile to allow accurate reproduction.  Flickr and instagram may have stopped applying this information to the image.  This is just a guess and I think it is unlikely but I can’t think of another option off the top of my head.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I can concur with my colleague.
All images come with some kind of colour profile - even what is stored as JPG files in the camera.  When you view images on a monitor, the colours may vary depending on the configuration of the monitor, which is why there are standard profiles that can be set up using a colour analyzer, such as a Spyder, or using a colour certified display.

However, every sit you post to will have its own profile, as my colleague referred to, and that is normally pretty close to what you would have otherwise seen: as in the case of your Facebook Experience.   So the two variables are: were you looking a Flickr  and Instagram on the same monitor as you did for Facebook.  If so, then the issue is with Flickr and Instagram.  If you were looking at them on another monitor, it could go either way.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Kerenw
Apprentice

Thanks both. We haven't got Instagram on the main computer but, have got Flickr so, maybe it's an issue with them. Last night however, I was editing a video and went to drop an edited shot in (Premier Rush for the video, Lightroom for the picture) and they had a green cast as well. Any thoughts?

This really sounds like what is referred to as a color management issue.  I would recommend two things.  First get at minimum a monitor calibrator like the Spyder or a ColorMunki as my colleague said.  this will allow you to adjust your monitor or viewing device to as close to accurate as possible and they will be able to tell you how far out of tolerance they are.  Secondly I would suggest you consider switching to Davinci Resolve for video editing and color grading.  Its free version is orders of magnitude better than the video editors I started with.  I retired as a chief Broadcast studio engineer back in 2009.  Davinci Resolve started out concentrating in color grading for the commercial industry and originally cost between $200,000.00 and $800,000.00.  And today you can get 99% of its functionality for free.  The color grading capabilities of Davinci Resolve literally can't be matched.  But its editing capabilities aren't half bad either.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How does the color look in the images and videos look “in camera” before you download them to computer or phone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The images are fine in camera and on the computer. It is only when putting into Instagram, Flickr or adding as a still into a video that we get the issues 

Kerenw
Apprentice

1000002798.jpg

 Here you can see the time lapse video made from the original jpegs and the inserted final image which is a different colour once inserted into a programme 

I definitely see the green cast you are speaking of.  But in this situation I believe the green cast is accurate.  The reason for this is the color temperature of the sky changes with the time of day and the most dramatic changes occur during the golden hour or sunrise and sunset.  Warm colors mixed with blue will produce green.  Your eye is very adept at compensating for changes in the color temperature of light but cameras require a little help with the white balance function. When you set a still camera to AWB it will make a best guess for the white balance on a photo by photo basis.  But if you want a series of images to match white balance you need to set a fixed white balance.  For single photos the most accurate white balance is to perform a manual white balance on your camera.  Im not familiar with the R7 but I suspect it does have this feature.  As the R7 isn't a dedicated video camera I don't know if it would change the white balance of a scene while shooting video if the scenes color temprature changes.

Announcements