cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7: Not activity shooting/doing tutorials. Should the battery only be recharged when almost out?

LoveWeims
Contributor

EOS R7.  I am doing tutorials and taking photos to see what happens.  I saw how many photos a low battery can take, but my real question is to prolong this rechargeable battery's life.  Should I normally wait til the battery is very low before recharging?

3 REPLIES 3

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

LoveWeims,

I don't think it really matters. As a matter of fact, Canon recommends that you charge your battery the day before, or the day of the day that you go out for a photo shoot, and don't say anything about whether it is already charged or is depleted.

I don't think you should charge it every day though.

Steve Thomas

Thank u.  I saw it takes 3 hours to fully charge.  Just do not want to overdo recharging it

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

It doesn't matter when you charge your battery.  Day before, day of, etc.  A battery which is good health will perform the same.  You can leave your battery safely in the charger for a period of time after its charged.  It won't hurt it. Don't leave it indefinitely.  

Here's what I recommend.  Batteries have a useable life.  They do not have an unlimited number of charge, dis-charge, recharge cycles.  Its best to charge them fully and use until they are nearly depleted.  Then charge again fully before use.  If you are storing for an extended period, charge to 50-60% and store in a cool dry location. Charge them fully again when you plan to shoot.  Sometimes you to charge use and charge again for a battery to recover after long term storage.  I own multiple batteries.  I label them with a small piece of blue tape to differentiate.   Your camera can keep track of them too, but you have to read the serial number to know which is which.  Battery life depends on you.  Environmental conditions and how often you charge and shoot.  Average you can expect is 3-5 yrs,, but I have often got much longer life.  😃  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements