cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Corrosion Found

pedrogenaro
Apprentice

I just had my most dissapointing and disheartening experience in more than 20 years using Canon products. I sent my canon EOS R7 for repair which was under warranty. I received an estimate of $0.00 balance first and right away i received another for $386.00 US dollars. The communication stated that i had to say if i agreed with the estimate. I called Canon Service and the representative told me that the balance was $0.00 but that they can't repair my camera due to corrosion. I do not know how a weather sealed camera could get corrosion because i am very sure that it was not directly exposed to water or heavy rain. 

I am hanging in the air right now not knowing what to do.

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The term weather sealing is a rather nebulous one.  It would be more accurate to call a camera resistance to environmental influences.  The R7 is not weather-sealed to the level of the R1, R3, R5 and R6 series, but that is not the only issue.  There is a big hole in the front of the body from the lens mount that will let in moisture if one is using a non-sealed lens, especially one that extends while zooming - essentially any non-L lens.   Such lenses suffer bellows effect, sucking air and atmospheric moisture into the lens, which is likely to be vented back into the camera body when the lens is retracted and air is compressed in the lens.  If you live in a moist environment: humid, or the lens was subject to moisture even light rain, then that could pass through the lens, accumulate in the body, causing the issue.   Once corrosion begins in an electronic device all the components need to be replaced, which is likely more than the camera is worth.  It might be worthwhile checking the lens you use for any sign of fungus within the optic - another sign of moisture getting through that path

Your best bet would be to see if you are covered by insurance.  If you can get a payout, I would recommend considering something like one of the R6 models, but that depends on the optics you are using.  RF-S lenses have issues with full-frame bodies

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you Trevor. I used it exclusively with a Canon EF (plus adapter) 500mm f/4. I have been using that lens for a few years now and no sign of fungus.

I understand that water sealed is rather a merchandising term but it is a misleading one. I anm very dissapointed with the whole process. I was informed that i needed to confirm an estimate of 386 dollars and it turned out that my wrranty was gone and so was my camera. 

The EF 400mm is a sealed lens, but the EF-RF adapter is not, that is your point of vulnerability.  I appreciate this is extremely frustrating for you and you have my sympathies.   Did you get any water on the camera, even light rain or drizzle, or a very humid atmosphere, and do you live or shoot on the coast?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements