cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Card Select No Longer on Customized Q Menu

thekingprawn114
Contributor

Until today I had my Q menu set up how I like it, but for some reason now the card select is no longer there, and it is not an option in the customization. Did it get removed in a firmware update, or am I just missing something? It's still available on the text screen view, but that is the only way I can get to it now.

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have 2 memory cards installed in the camera? Maybe the option disappears when only one is installed. I don't own that camera, so I am taking a guess.

Yes, two cards inserted.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Take a look here and try resetting the layout to default.  

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R7 : Customizing Quick Controls (start.canon)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I know where it should be and how to customize quick controls, but card selection is not there anymore. Is there a comprehensive list of everything changed with firmware 1.3.1? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried resetting Quick Controls to defaults as Rick suggested? It might help.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Firmware 1.3.1 contained the following (one) change:

1. Improves the stability of the touch operation control when the [Touch control] is set to [Sensitive].

Going to ask again that you start with resetting the Q Menu layout.  Then recheck.

The next thing to look at is Card Recording Settings:

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R7 : Selecting Cards for Recording/Playback (start.canon)

Last option is a full settings reset.  This often resolves unexpected / undesired behavior when you aren't sure why something that worked previously isn't working now.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Resetting does not bring it back. It used to be on this page of buttons while editing Q controls
edit menu.jpg

What I'm trying to get back on there is just card selection. It still exists on full Q controls, but I like it on the custom Q controls as well.
card select.jpg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I am not discounting your claim, I just cannot find any mention of this setting in the Q Control Customization Menu.  This was why I asked about Card configuration for recording and playback.  I checked the manuals for the R7, R5, and R5 C but none show or mention it as a customizable option.

Review your card settings as suggested.  Then consider a full settings reset.  You can also reach out to Canon Support for clarification.  If its there, a camera settings reset should reveal it.  If its been removed (which I doubt) support can confirm.  Firmware updates typically add features, not remove them.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

It was there until I updated to 1.3.1 from an earlier firmware. Manually switching which card I'm writing to is considerably deeper in the menus now. Before it was just hit Q, go to the right item (I only keep a handful of things on custom Q), and hit the info button. Maybe it will come back, but maybe not. It takes up two icon slots, so that's probably why it got the boot.

Announcements