EOS R6 error 20

gezervaz
Apprentice

Hello I have a 3-year-old Canon R6 it has been well taken care of. Lately, when the camera has been left untouched for a couple of hours it prompts a message with error 20. When I press the shutter it goes away, if I shut down and turn on the camera the error doesn't show back. It only appears if the camera has not been turned on in a while. I use only first-party batteries. Also, I use L series RF lenses. 2 128gb SanDisk Extreme Pro. And the camera rests on a dry cabinet. 

Aside from leaving the camera unattended, I can't recreate the conditions of the error, and since it only happens the first time I turn it on it didn't gave me the chance to read what the error was. Tested put 4 different Canon LP-E6NH including its original battery but no message was displayed. Tested all shooting modes, shutter modes and dial mode but no error arose. 

Is that a precursor to a shutter issue that would end with its replacement or I should brush it up to software and maybe ignore it until it becomes a persistent problem?

7 REPLIES 7

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

You could check the firmware update history on Canon's support site to see whether this is a known "glitch" that was corrected via a firmware update. 

It probably isn't firmware related and I would choose a time when you don't need your camera for a couple of weeks and arrange for Canon to repair it before this turns into a hard failure at an inopportune time.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

paultee
Apprentice

I just had the same situation and can't replicate it on a camera that's very far from its expected lifespan requiring shutter attention from normal use. Did the issue come back? Did you send it in or was it a passing bug?

gezervaz
Apprentice

Hello, 

The issue comes back every time I turn on the camera the first time of the day. After that, everything runs normal. Even when turning it on and off, it boots normally. Since everything I found is that is a "shutter" malfunction, I decided to live with it and when the time came I would replace the shutter. I believe if I send the camera to Canon right now that's probably their solution so, if it can continue to make me money I'll just milk it as long as I can. 

PS: I do this because the R6 has become my backup camera or my third camera, in addition to my R5 and R8. Also, if the problem was showing every time I turn on the camera, I would have sent it to Canon. 

ctitanic
Rising Star

According to Canon

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/s/article/ART177663

A malfunction with the mechanical mechanism has been detected.

Resolution

1. Turn the power off and remove then re-install the battery
  2. Turn the power on again

If the error message is still showing, then it is necessary for the camera to be inspected by a Canon Factory Service Center.

Please follow this link to begin the repair process:  https://www.usa.canon.com/support/service-and-repair

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

paultee
Apprentice

I ended up getting rid of it (it was a used camera from a local pro photo shop). Canon told me there were no recalls, but clearly not a good situation. The camera only had 100K on it. This doesn’t bode well for my other R6, and it’s rattled my trust in canon a bit. First pro camera in 20 years from them to get error codes. I’m glad some people are still squeezing work hours out of it, but the R6 is reminding me of the Nikon D600 which was quickly replaced by the D610. Kinda like how the R6 ii was quick on the R6’s heels.

Well, there are a lot of R6 currently in use and this error is more the exception of the rule than something commonly reported with the R6. But You did good. Why to keep something that may fail you when you needed.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

paultee
Apprentice

Oh absolutely! Including the one I've happily been using for years. The error-tripping one was going to replace my backup R (also flawless) just to make my life easier using the same model on shoots. Tech is always imperfect, but it's a reminder to take a warning as a warning and not a hiccup. The idea of never knowing when a code would drop in the middle of an event was enough to say "enough". I'm sure a newer R6 iteration will be great!

Announcements