cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 depletes battery when turned off

QuietNoise
Contributor

Hi,

I'm fighting with problem for weeks now. The camera depletes the fully charged battery completely after few days even when it's completely turned off during that time (the power dial on camera is in OFF position).

I went through many forums without clear solution for this model.

So, far I have camera in Airplane Mode on (thus WiFi and Bluetooth are off) and with GPS disabled. This happens to every battery I tried and those same batteries can sit in other canon DSLR cameras for weeks or months and still maintain their charge.

Is there anything else I can do make the EOS R6 stop battery draining when turned off (other that taking the battery out after every shoot)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I can now 100% confirm the fault is with the Viltrox adapter. At the time I bought it because Canon didn't their own in stock. I now use Canon's original adapter for few weeks and the problem with battery is no longer there. 

Viltrox does not seem to plan to address this issue as such, if you are the owner of this adapter, you are left with 3 options:
* remove the adapter when not shooting,
* remove the battery when not shooting,
* use Canon's adapter or RF lenses.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It sounds like you have checked the right boxes.  Switch the camera to USB mode by disabling Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.  Disable the internal GPS.  

The next step is resetting the camera back to factory defaults.  You can save your current settings in a Custom Shooting Mode, if you want.  Speaking of which, what shooting mode is the camera in when you turn it off?

Also, does the battery still drain itself without an installed lens or mount adapter?  I noticed that you refer to “battery”, not “batteries”.  My next piece of advice would have been to remove the battery grip.  Strip the camera down to just a camera body with nothing attached, not even a USB cable.

Is this a new problem, or has it always behaved this way.  If you are still having issues, then you need to contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Camera is in M mode. No grip. It always behaved like this. I will give the factory reset a try and see where it goes.

Factory reset didn't help but removing the lenses did (I use EF lenses with Viltrox adapter). Still don't know how to solve it but I'm getting closer.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Two things to try, Airplane mode and remove the lens or adapters. If removing the lens fixes it, the lens may need repair. I would call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks. Wil give it a try.

Apologies for late reply as I didn't have chance to test it sooner. I use the camera with Viltrox adapter and EF lenses. When I remove it the problem with battery drain goes away. So as of now I have a cause of the problem but not the solution.

Pixelboy
Apprentice

Hi I’ve had a problem like this with a 5Dmk3 and it was a faulty pcb unit which controls power to the camera. If I left a fully charged battery in for a few days it would be dead. I would recommend sending it to Canon to be assessed, my R5 battery has the same charge even after a week with no drain. Hope this helps 

Phynx
Apprentice

I had the same problem with my R6 batteries draining after 3 days when the camera wasn't being used. Through trial and error I found that without the RF to EF adapter (Viltrox) and lens attached (EOS EF 24-70mm f2.8) the battery's did not drain. Therefore it's either the adapter or lens that's draining the battery's. At least in my case.

I can now 100% confirm the fault is with the Viltrox adapter. At the time I bought it because Canon didn't their own in stock. I now use Canon's original adapter for few weeks and the problem with battery is no longer there. 

Viltrox does not seem to plan to address this issue as such, if you are the owner of this adapter, you are left with 3 options:
* remove the adapter when not shooting,
* remove the battery when not shooting,
* use Canon's adapter or RF lenses.

Announcements