cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Shutter Button Won't Work with TTArtisan 50mm f/2 Lens

AlanaD
Contributor

I am new to my Canon R6 and discouraged with information on lenses. I just received the TTArtisan 50mm f/2 Lens and although I can see through the lens, my shutter button will not work. I've removed/replaced it.  I've tried using my ring adapter - though not supposed to be needed - and found it listed on lenses to fit the R6 body.  I wish there was a live chat with Canon for help.  If anyone here knows if this is a user error or if this lens is not meant for an R6 body, please help.

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The lens a manual lens with no electrical connection. Look in the menu section for the setting to actuate shutter without lens (page 796).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi AlanaD,

Fully manual lenses do not communicate with the camera. Due to that the camera doesn't detect a lens is attached and will refuse to take a photo. If you enable the setting in jrhoffman75's response you will be able to take photos when that lens is attached. 

To enable that put the camera into either P, Tv, Av, or M photo mode and press the Menu button. Go to the fourth page under the Custom Functions tab (the orange camera icon second from the right), and set Release Shutter w/o Lens to On. Once you do that you will be able to take photos with a fully manual lens attached.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The lens a manual lens with no electrical connection. Look in the menu section for the setting to actuate shutter without lens (page 796).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

So grateful for your response. I'll do that now. Thank you!

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi AlanaD,

Fully manual lenses do not communicate with the camera. Due to that the camera doesn't detect a lens is attached and will refuse to take a photo. If you enable the setting in jrhoffman75's response you will be able to take photos when that lens is attached. 

To enable that put the camera into either P, Tv, Av, or M photo mode and press the Menu button. Go to the fourth page under the Custom Functions tab (the orange camera icon second from the right), and set Release Shutter w/o Lens to On. Once you do that you will be able to take photos with a fully manual lens attached.

AlanaD
Contributor

Hazel!! SO SO grateful for these steps. Blessings!!!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My question is, out of curiosity, why buy the TTArtisan 50mm f/2 Lens? Very much inferior to the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens. It can't be simply price or size since the  RF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens is not a whole lot more costly new and nearly the same price used. Plus the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens is designed to use all auto functions on your camera. And, it can be used manually.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

My question is, out of curiosity, why buy the TTArtisan 50mm f/2 Lens? Very much inferior to the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens. It can't be simply price or size since the  RF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens is not a whole lot more costly new and nearly the same price used. Plus the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens is designed to use all auto functions on your camera. And, it can be used manually.

One has a list of $69 USD.  The other has a list price of $199 USD.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements